which tele to buy?

llewllew Frets: 78
I'm going to be in the market for another tele in a couple of month's, but can't decide between a 92 jerry donaghue,a mid 90's 52 ri, or a paisley?(all Japanese) also sort of tempted by the mexican baja tele. I much prefer 21 frets,3 saddle bridge chunky necks etc.Any advice would be cool.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Remember the paisleys have mega think plastic paint (very similar to the Baja actually).
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9718
    edited February 2014
    Looks like you're after a more traditional instrument. How about the Classic 50s?...

or perhaps the Classic 60s?...

Both have alder bodies, 21 frets, 3 saddles, and vintage 7.25" fretboard radius.

Also, for some extra dosh you can have the 50s with a lacquer (as opposed to poly) finish.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
  • JohnPerryJohnPerry Frets: 1622
    well i can steer you right on the first two, since i have both for sale on this very forum. Actually the necks feel very similar. But the JD is bound and far more versatile with the 5-way switching. Looks better IMHO too

• xSkarloeyxSkarloey Frets: 2962
    Check out the countless online reviews and vids of he Jerry Donahue switching system. Super versatile.

He's now got a Fret King and a new less expensive Vintage signature model.

• ForgeForge Frets: 431
    The 52 is a wonderful guitar - go for used, since learning FMIC will stop companies from exporting licenced parts I cannot advise anyone to get a new Fender.
  • Pink paisleys are awesome. Thick finish and usually basswood but still awesome.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • llewllew Frets: 78
    I am leaning towards the jd tele I have to say.Not really a fan of thick finishes so maybe the baja isn't for me?Disappointed to hear that the paisley is similar though.
    John perry what is your jd made from? Only iv heard some of them are basswood.
    Not sure. Maybe alder, maybe basswood. By why is anyone hung up on basswood? It's a perfectly good tonewood. Whatever they're made of, those JDs have great resonance and sound wonderful.

• Just buy a Tele. Any Tele. Teles are great guitars. I've never come across a bad one. I've come across a few with missing bridge pickups lately though *cough* they end up on *ahem* sausage fingers *cough* guitars I mean *aaahheeemmmm* improvements.

Lord have mercy on our souls.

Buy a Tele and keep your pups well hidden!
    Don't know what it is,I hear basswood and I think ibanez.........shudder! Although I bet it helps to bring the weight down a fair bit? My other tele is alder so I really fancied ash. That said the jd does sound wickedly versatile.
  • jaygtrjaygtr Frets: 218
    llew;172986" said:
    Don't know what it is,I hear basswood and I think ibanez.........shudder! Although I bet it helps to bring the weight down a fair bit? My other tele is alder so I really fancied ash. That said the jd does sound wickedly versatile.

Me too , I don't know why, I just would have a Tele that wasn't made of ash.
    :-?

The two best Teles I have ever played, anywhere, are two I now own. Both are alder. But they're not great because they're made of alder. There's so much more to a Tele than the wood in the body

Your right of course and I do love my alder tele but an ash tele just sound's right. Different flavours of a great guitar I suppose.