Marshall Mosfet Lead 100

HHwarnerHHwarner Frets: 137
edited February 2014 in Amps

Hi All,

I currently use a JCM800 2204 live and take a JCM 4210 combo as backup. The combo weighs a ton and Im getting tired of carting it around just as a backup. Iv been offered an old Marshall Mosfet Lead 100 at real cheap price. What are these ols solid state heads like. Bare in mind this will only be a back up amp. Cheers,

Scott

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Nice little amps the mosfets, great value for money, sold one here I think it was for 130 quid. I personally think it would make a great back up amp, your not going to get the warmth and headroom of your 2204 but it's a lightweight alternative if your in a pickle!
  • gubblegubble Frets: 1746
    If not can i have it please?
    I'm after one :)
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72445
    HHwarner said:

I currently use a JCM800 2204 live and take a JCM 4210 combo as backup. The combo weighs a ton and Im getting tired of carting it around just as a backup. Iv been offered an old Marshall Mosfet Lead 100 at real cheap price. What are these ols solid state heads like. Bare in mind this will only be a back up amp. 

Buy it.

They're bombproof - exactly what's most important for a backup - and sound pretty good to great. The earlier versions with the 'Pull EQ' switch on the boost channel tone control are far better, but I'd still buy the later model if it's cheap enough (around £100 or under).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• I want one of those, but don't have a cab.  I've played one before and really liked it, but didn't know what it was at the time so passed up.  

It's an eBay saved search for me.
  • I know, but it's in Worcester and I've just spent my money on a new guitar... :(

Otherwise, I swear, I'd have it.  
  • HHwarnerHHwarner Frets: 137
    That's 7 miles from me :-)
  • JetfireJetfire Frets: 1696
    I had one and it wasnt brillant IMHO.. however, it wasnt one with a pull EQ thingy..
    The one iv been offered has the push pull gain knob
    How much is it? I'd buy that at £150 or less without even thinking about it - they don't tend to go for a lot more though, no matter how good they are.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Get it! If you really, really don't like it and want to get rid of it in a few months, just let me know ;) 

They do that JCM type sound really well, as well as a lower gain Slash type tone.  

That one on eBay has a 4x12 loaded with Celestion G12T-75 speakers, which are pretty good quality drivers and should be good, especially for 80's esque sounds.  If you don't like them, they sell well - you could probably make your money back...

If it was more local to me, I'd buy it, gut the cab, sell 3 of the speakers and the cab then buy a 2x12 and get another speaker to mix with the G12T-75.  
    edited March 2014
    That one on eBay has a 4x12 loaded with Celestion G12T-75 speakers, which are pretty good quality drivers and should be good, especially for 80's esque sounds.  If you don't like them, they sell well - you could probably make your money back...
    That one? You could easily get £100 back for the cabinet… especially if you took the logo off it :). That leaves a free Mosfet Lead 100.

If it was more local to me, I'd buy it, gut the cab, sell 3 of the speakers and the cab then buy a 2x12 and get another speaker to mix with the G12T-75.  
    It would be cheaper and much less hassle to sell the cab whole and buy a single G12T-75 ;).

• ICBM said:
    That one? You could easily get £100 back for the cabinet… especially if you took the logo off it :). That leaves a free Mosfet Lead 100.

It would be cheaper and much less hassle to sell the cab whole and buy a single G12T-75 ;).
    lol never thought of it that way.  

Going to go to the listing now and see where it is and how much fuel it would cost me...
  • Drat, it would be a 5 hour round trip.  :(

It'd probably be worth it, though.  I need to think.
    edited March 2014
    Well I picked The Mosfet up. Im very pleased with it. Got it for £120 in the end. Sounds great. Its defiantly got that 800 vibe to it. Ideal as a backup for my 2204 (sure cant afford a second 2204). Thanks for the advice guys, was a great buy.
    Did you get it for £120 including the cab?

• Nice work!

If you got it with the cab, that's an astounding buy.
  • ICBM said:
    IC I think Scott went with his original offer someone made him?

Can't believe that ebay one didn't sell that's just crazy, great durable amp head, 4x12 cab and four nicely broken in 75's for a 100 quid!
  • ICBM said:
    IC I think Scott went with his original offer someone made him?

Can't believe that ebay one didn't sell that's just crazy, great durable amp head, 4x12 cab and four nicely broken in 75's for a 100 quid!
    It's insane, if I lived nearer worcester, I'd have got it.  

If it gets relisted, I still might.