Elvis Costello & The Attractions - Punch The Clock

What's Hot
RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13941
I know it's not Costello's favourite album by any means and he painfully regrets adding the delay on Chet Baker's trumpet solo on Shipbuilding but this album blew me away back in 1983. It was my first real introduction to Elvis Costello and I was staggered by the quality of songwriting, musicianship and melody. It's my favourite of his. Shipbuilding is a staggering song.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• SidNewtonSidNewton Frets: 660
    I've been listening to 'The Best Of The First Ten Years' on Spotify recently. Cracking stuff. Not familiar with individual albums, will have to start working my way through them.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • pauladspaulads Frets: 495
    yep....its always been one of my favourite Costello albums...some great songs on there.
  • stickersticker Frets: 869
    Everyday I write the book , Shipbuilding and Pills and Soap are fantastic songs , I can't stand the over-production on some of the songs though.
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13941
    sticker said:
    Everyday I write the book , Shipbuilding and Pills and Soap are fantastic songs , I can't stand the over-production on some of the songs though.

I know, but the poppy production makes his songs sparkle. I find some of Costello's work a bit hard to listen to sometimes.

My favourites are Invisible Man and Mouth Almighty

• merlinmerlin Frets: 6682
    Just as a touch of detail, Costello didn't write the Music, just the words.The Music was written by Clive Langer....
    merlin said:
    Just as a touch of detail, Costello didn't write the Music, just the words.The Music was written by Clive Langer....
    What the whole album? are you sure? Clive Langer is only credited with the music on Shipbuilding

• merlinmerlin Frets: 6682
    merlin said:
    What the whole album? are you sure? Clive Langer is only credited with the music on Shipbuilding
    Yes, the whole album. He also wrote all of Shakespeare's plays and his wife and he wrote the sonnets.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Jimbro66Jimbro66 Frets: 2429
    For me Costello has been one of the stand-out musical artists of the past few decades. I've immensely enjoyed all his albums (even the admittedly over-produced ones) and the gigs I've attended have never disappointed, whether with The Attractions or solo. His feud with the musical press got him a bit of a reputation as being difficult (I think unfairly) but on stage he shows a great sense of humour and knows the importance of being entertaining. Call me a fan boy :)
    merlin said:
    merlin said:
    Yes, the whole album. He also wrote all of Shakespeare's plays and his wife and he wrote the sonnets.
    Busy lad then.