Vibrato Claw Holes

What's Hot
So, my awesome new project arrived from @GSPBASSES and it's an absolute cracker!

Before I start finishing, I'm test fitting all components and it's all gone very smoothly except for the claw.  

How do you go about drilling these holes?  How accurate do they need to be?

Cheers :D
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72322
    With a very long drill bit :).

You can get extensions for standard drill bits which are like a small drill chuck on the end of a long rod, which will work too - the chuck part will be within the trem cavity so you can get a low angle without it hitting the wood.

The holes need to be quite accurate in terms of position on the end wall of the cavity; not so critical in terms of angle. The adjustment range is fairly small, typically between about a quarter inch and a half inch (three quarters at most) from the end of the cavity, so an error in the angle won't affect the position of the screw head too much.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Okay, cool.  Drat, I'll see if I can find an extension bit or a long bit of the right diameter (I'll look tomorrow after work).  

As far as measuring where they go, how do you do it?  Just pop the claw in and mark the dots with a pencil, making sure the claw isn't touching the wood?
  • Would one of these help?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • @thermionic, wisdom awarded.  ;)

I'm making a dedicated thread with pics and questions, so for more shizzle, head there.  When it's done.
  • GuitarMonkeyGuitarMonkey Frets: 1883
    edited February 2014
  • GSPBASSESGSPBASSES Frets: 2349
    edited February 2014 tFB Trader
    Don't go and buy one I'll send you one in the post today, it should have been drill before it left the work shop sorry about that.

Your life will improve when you realise it’s better to be alone than chase people who do not really care about you. Saying YES to happiness means learning to say NO to things and people that stress you out.

https://www.facebook.com/grahame.pollard.39/

• GSPBASSES said:
    Don't go and buy one I'll send you one in the post today, it should have been drill before it left the work shop sorry about that.
    Don't be so silly mate! You've done an absolutely stellar job, and like I said, I'm getting this one perfect - anything that slows me down is, in my eyes, a bit of a blessing, gives me more time to assess everything else.  

Btw, didn't realise the neck was figured.  It's lovely!
  • FX_MunkeeFX_Munkee Frets: 2477
    ThePrettyDamned said:
    Okay, cool.  Drat, I'll see if I can find an extension bit or a long bit of the right diameter (I'll look tomorrow after work).  

As far as measuring where they go, how do you do it?  Just pop the claw in and mark the dots with a pencil, making sure the claw isn't touching the wood?
    Make sure it's low down in the cavity when you mark up the holes, as due to the drilling angle it will sit higher (closer to the back plate) in use.
    Don't ask me how I come by these pearls of wisdom, it's painful to remember all the mistakes I've made...
    Oh and I use what @GuitarMonkey has linked to.
    Shot through the heart, and you’re to blame, you give love a bad name. Not to mention archery tuition.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72322
    FX_Munkee said:
    Make sure it's low down in the cavity when you mark up the holes, as due to the drilling angle it will sit higher (closer to the back plate) in use.
    You're actually best to use the claw as the guide - put it on the pocket floor up against the end wall and mark the positions at the top of the holes in it. That's the lowest it will ever be, so as long as there's the smallest bit of clearance between the claw and the wood (there will be if you mark at the top of the holes) it will be perfect.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

tFB Trader
    The drill is all ready on its way. 

Your life will improve when you realise it’s better to be alone than chase people who do not really care about you. Saying YES to happiness means learning to say NO to things and people that stress you out.

• GSPBASSES said:
    The drill is all ready on its way. 
    Oh man, thanks ever so much.  When I'm done with it, I'll post it back as I doubt I'll ever need it again!

Absolute hero. 

Cheers all, I'll mark out and punch today.  

I've popped the nut on and it fits perfectly, just need to file the bottom of it to get it a more suitable height.  
  • FX_MunkeeFX_Munkee Frets: 2477
    ICBM said:
    FX_Munkee said:
    You're actually best to use the claw as the guide - put it on the pocket floor up against the end wall and mark the positions at the top of the holes in it. That's the lowest it will ever be, so as long as there's the smallest bit of clearance between the claw and the wood (there will be if you mark at the top of the holes) it will be perfect.
    It's all well and good you telling me that now.... ;)
    Shot through the heart, and you’re to blame, you give love a bad name. Not to mention archery tuition.
    edited February 2014 tFB Trader
    If you want to see how I fit a trem claw go to the link below, its near the bottom of the page.