Cleaning satin-finish guitrs

What's Hot
NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4916
Evenin' all.  I have 3 satin-finish guitars and I wondered if anyone can recommend any particular product for cleaning them?

Obviously I can't use polish, because they wouldn't be satin for long...

One of them has a few bits of slightly sticky residue from what I take to be sellotape or similar, presumably used to stick set-lists to the guitar for quick reference.

I'm a bit leery about using a solvent such as white spirit, in case it damages the finish, but I'd be interested in your experiences.

TIA  =)
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    Nitefly said:
    Evenin' all.  I have 3 satin-finish guitars and I wondered if anyone can recommend any particular product for cleaning them?

One of them has a few bits of slightly sticky residue from what I take to be sellotape or similar, presumably used to stick set-lists to the guitar for quick reference.

I'm a bit leery about using a solvent such as white spirit, in case it damages the finish, but I'd be interested in your experiences.

TIA  =)
    Naptha (lighter fluid) will get rid of the sticky residue if they are nitro finishes.

Just use sparingly, and don't let it sit - it should flash off very quickly if applied sparingly. 
  • TeyeplayerTeyeplayer Frets: 3201
    Nitefly said:

TIA  =)
    Naptha (lighter fluid) will get rid of the sticky residue if they are nitro finishes.

Just use sparingly, and don't let it sit - it should flash off very quickly if applied sparingly. 
    Despite his attempts to become a mod, don't mistake this as setting light to your guitar, it's cheap publicity trick.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 9615

I wouldn't use anything on them - I think that's what Taylor say about their satin finish ones. A microfibre cloth with a drop of water maybe.

But to get sticky residue off I would try some IPA (not the beer). I use it to clean all sorts of stuff and it's effective without dissolving paints or plastics (yet).

• NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4916
    OK thanks peeps, I'll try the damp micro-fibre first, see how I get on.

Not sure if they're nitro finishes tbh, one is a Seagull, one's a Martin, and one's an Epiphone...