Eric Clapton Style Blues

What's Hot
kswilson89kswilson89 Frets: 222
Hi

I've recently been getting into Clapton and love his guitar style in Cream. Can anyone suggest the best Clapton blues guitar work? And any other players that are similar to him?

Thanks
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• AlexCAlexC Frets: 2396
    Don't know about 'best', but this is worth a listen -

• aord43aord43 Frets: 287
    From the Cradle is pretty good.
    I also like the BB King collaboration Riding With the King.
    As for similar..influences went both ways of course.  I like Otis Rush and Taj Majal.  And if you listen to T-Bone Walker "T-Bone Blues"  Album after listening to From the Cradle you will have that Deja Vu sense more than once!
    I highly recommend the Crossroads Blues Festival CDs for a sample of Eric and his mates having a good time :)
  • mburekengemburekenge Frets: 1058
    For me , other tham the cream and from the cradle era,  Derek and the Dominos live at filmore album is king. Key to the highway and have you ever loved a woman are out of this world.
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24803
    The Hyde Park DVD features some of his best ever playing - things like ‘I’m Tore Down’ played on his 335 are exceptional.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • mburekengemburekenge Frets: 1058
    The Hyde Park DVD features some of his best ever playing - things like ‘I’m Tore Down’ played on his 335 are exceptional.
    I need this dvd in my life.
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    For me , other tham the cream and from the cradle era,  Derek and the Dominos live at filmore album is king. Key to the highway and have you ever loved a woman are out of this world.
    This ....

EC was here is pretty good ..

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16294

+1 on From the Cradle.

You could then find all the original songs/ artists  that this covers like Otis Rush and Lowell Fulson.

Guitar wise Clappo was heavily influenced by Freddie and Albert King so most things by them ( quite hard to go wrong with Freddie although there are a few dodgy Albert King albums). 

His obvious contemporaries Peter Green and Stan Webb didn't exactly have the same type of career but there's definitely stuff worth listening to if the OP isn't familiar.

Might be slightly random but I'll also name Buddy Whittington for his work with John Mayall and his solo stuff, I think if you like Eric you might like him. Indeed if you watch the John Mayall 70th birthday concert Eric is in poor form and Buddy is top notch. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    Hi

I've recently been getting into Clapton and love his guitar style in Cream. Can anyone suggest the best Clapton blues guitar work? And any other players that are similar to him?

Thanks
    Check out the Allman Brothers Band ...

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • AlexCAlexC Frets: 2396
    Can I add Buddy Guy to the mix. Great stage presence and wonderful blues player. And an influence on Clapton (and Hendrix) I believe.
  • ReverendReverend Frets: 4999
    The Groundhogs
    Robin Trower
    Captain Beyond
    Peter Green's Fleetwood Mac

• EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16294
    AlexC said:
    Can I add Buddy Guy to the mix. Great stage presence and wonderful blues player. And an influence on Clapton (and Hendrix) I believe.
    Clapton envisaged Cream being like Buddy Guy's trio at the time IIRC ( although it wasn't). 
    My favourite Guy album is  DJ Play My Blues which is just Guy with his brother Phil on second guitar and bass and drums, not over produced like some of his later albums. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell.