SCAMMER WARNING: Due to a spate of recent scam attempts (some successful) recently, if you're doing a deal in the classifieds, ONLY USE PAYPAL GOODS AND SERVICES UNLESS YOU KNOW THAT INDIVIDUAL PERSONALLY. It's really not worth saving a few quid.

WTB: CD Player - anyone looking to shift a decent-ish one?

RobDaviesRobDavies Frets: 3065

I'm in the market for a CD Player - having decided that my current one sounds inferior to my iPhone with Spotify via a Bluetooth DAC.

Was ideally looking for a Marantz player with the Cirrus Logic CS4398 DAC, so a 6006, 6005, 6003 or 5005 - with the added bonus that it'll work with my Marantz amp's remote control.

Would also consider others (Arcam, Rotel etc,) but must have a remote.

What ya got?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• vizviz Frets: 10691
    edited October 2017
    Maybe a rega planet - left-hand loaded, not the centre-loading one. 
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 7860
    I’ve had loads of CD players over the years. Quad, Marantz, Pioneer reference units etc etc. I sold it all when I moved to London, then got married etc etc

I’ve just put a system together for my niece, Most of the bits I picked up were as cheap as chips.  It sounds fantastic.  While looking for a CD Player, a friend who maintained his ‘Deluxe hifi enthusiasm‘  gave me a brilliant piece of advice.  All the old classic CD player (CD 67 SE MK2 etc etc) stll fetch good money, despite being 30 years old with components degrading over time.  
    He said that the DAC’s in CD players have continued to improve, and a mid range modern CD player will o
    edited October 2017
    Continued.  Sorry, IOS11 problems...

the DAC in most midrange CD players outclas the older quality players.  

Most importantly, SACD players have excellent DAC’s, as they need to cope with Blue ray audio and the better quality SACD source.

So, I bought a lightly used Sony SACD player for £20 off eBay.  I assembled the system this week, and  been tweaking as I go along.  This £20 SACD player is kicking ass. It’s spectacular.  It’s the only CD player I’ve heard that can go head to head with my turntable.  

Just search ebay, get a SACD CD player, and enjoy. 

Im looking for another, hopefully with a digital input so I can use it with Apple TV 3 for iPhone audio (Apple TV 3 has digital audio out - easiest way to make Apple Music sound good). 

Good luck

Marlin
  • RobDaviesRobDavies Frets: 3065
    viz said:
    Don't think a top loader would fit in my rack, unfortunately.  

TheMarlin said:
    Continued.  Sorry, IOS11 problems...

the DAC in most midrange CD players outclas the older quality players.  

Most importantly, SACD players have excellent DAC’s, as they need to cope with Blue ray audio and the better quality SACD source.

So, I bought a lightly used Sony SACD player for £20 off eBay.  I assembled the system this week, and  been tweaking as I go along.  This £20 SACD player is kicking ass. It’s spectacular.  It’s the only CD player I’ve heard that can go head to head with my turntable.  

Just search ebay, get a SACD CD player, and enjoy. 

Im looking for another, hopefully with a digital input so I can use it with Apple TV 3 for iPhone audio (Apple TV 3 has digital audio out - easiest way to make Apple Music sound good). 

Good luck

Marlin
    I've read your other posts regarding the Sony SACD player you picked up a while ago... I've looked for ages on eBay for one but they just don't seem to crop up (certainly not at twenty quid, anyway!). 

RobDavies said:
    viz said:
    Don't think a top loader would fit in my rack, unfortunately.  
    Ok no problem. It is a great thing. I only use it for the transport actually - I go through an external airdac. 
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    edited October 2017
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/332404623558

https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/222669221581

https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/182796811454

https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/222668276737

https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/322785193973

The first ine is the best of this bunch, but some nice bargain here.  

Dammit.  Links not working. 

Do do a search for ‘Super Audio CD’ under ‘Sound and Vision’.  Also SACD. The one I’m using is a combi disk DVD/CD/SACD player.  Seriously, sounds tremendous.  £20!!!
    Just scored a Marantz 6005 on eBay for £95 - no remote but it will work with the Marantz amp remote I've got.  

Might still look out for a cheapy SACD player and compare the two... @TheMarlin :-)
    These have got a good reputation.  Great price too. 
    Enjoy!

I’m on the lookout for an Oppo BDP 105.  These are supposed to be very impressive across all CD formats, and allow network play of lossless MP3’s.  But pricey though, even used. 
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4980
    TheMarlin said:
    These have got a good reputation.  Great price too. 
    Enjoy!

I’m on the lookout for an Oppo BDP 105.  These are supposed to be very impressive across all CD formats, and allow network play of lossless MP3’s.  But pricey though, even used. 

"lossless MP3s". The very idea makes me smile.

The Oppo is highly thought off.......
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

Turns out that the Marantz, while sounding superb was faulty and every other disc I owned was skipping and sticking, so it's gone back.   A common problem with Marantz players, apparently. 

So.... still in the market....
    You really should see if you can accommodate a top-loader, the transport is so much better. I'd also consider a really good transport and a separate dac that includes wireless / bluetooth etc, for your phone
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4980
    Is it absolutely necessary for you to have a CD player? Very good sounds to be had by ripping CDs on your computer to FLAC stored on an external drive. Use Exact Audio Copy for the rip (takes some time but worth the effort). A USB dac provides the output signal to your amp. There are lots of front ends for your computer, Foobar2000 for example. And do backup your hard drive...
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum