Can we ban 'Feeler'?!

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26994
    I don't have a problem with feelers. It's like tyre-kickers but the other way round. Certainly wouldn't want to inflict more jobs on the mods for the sake of that.

I also *really* like to go back and look at old classified threads to find real-world, non-ebay values of stuff, and for that reason really hate it when people delete threads/posts after something sells. 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Can we start a "low ball" list please, Basically anyone who PM's you and offers way below value claiming to be an expert giving advice and offering to unburden you of your over priced piece of junk, I understand everyone wants a good deal and all negotiations need a starting point, but some people do really take the piss!
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17609
    tFB Trader
    Can we start a "low ball" list please, Basically anyone who PM's you and offers way below value claiming to be an expert giving advice and offering to unburden you of your over priced piece of junk, I understand everyone wants a good deal and all negotiations need a starting point, but some people do really take the piss!
    Everyone is entitled to offer whatever they see fit, and you are entitled to tell them to bugger off. 
    I see no need for anything in place over and above that. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28337

My my, we are a bunch of handbag wielding grannies!

seeing as I am too, here's my gripe ...... threads with 20 bumps, just delete the old one when you put a new one in!

There, I've said it, now where's that blue rinse packet .....

• ChrisMusicChrisMusic Frets: 1133
    Once something has sold is it easy to remove the listing to reduce clutter?
    Sporky said:
    It'd be very simple to do, but I think threads where the item has sold can be a useful reference. We could look at locking them (at user request) once the item has sold to prevent necro-bumping maybe.
    Is necro-bumping even legal?  sounds too much like a dodgy movie to me    :))

I also *really* like to go back and look at old classified threads to find real-world, non-ebay values of stuff, and for that reason really hate it when people delete threads/posts after something sells. 
    I have to agree, I find the old ones great for research.  (and an odd GAS)

(rant warning)  Just PLEASE mark classifieds a sold once the deal is done, ideally in the "title", it saves much time & frustration, and back in the old days I saw people asking about stuff from months before, which TBH could well still be available in the current economic climate.
    Locking them may be a good idea too, but if they can't be arsed to mark it "sold" then they wouldn't bother to request a lock.
    (rant over)  I feel so much better, now off to get a sammich. 
    :)

• SporkySporky Frets: 28197
    The rules for the classifieds (don't any of you eejits read them? ;) ) do include that people should add "sold" to the thread title and to the opening post. If anyone spots that someone's not done this, hit the Flag button please and the mod/admin team can make that change. It's not going to get anyone in trouble so you're not snitching, just helping us keep things tidy.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    Sporky said: The rules for the classifieds (don't any of you eejits read them? ;) ) do include that people should add "sold" to the thread title and to the opening post.
    Hey Sporky, just take a look at the 250 views of the "Rules", and how many members in our wonderful community?
    compare that to the 1k1 views "Shit that boils your piss" discussion, and that isn't even stickied,  
    ;)

The other rant is over people not putting a location in their profile when they sign up, it is helpful if you consider trying a bit of kit you are interested in from the clasifieds, or if you want to offer help in person to someone else, or for a myriad other reasons.  Nearest town, city, or region is better than nowt.
    Now back off for another sammich 
    :)

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33797
    Sporky said:
    (don't any of you eejits read them? ;) )
    That would cut into my weird youtube video watching time:

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    @octatonic, WTF, it appears you have too much time on your hands young man, oops, and apparently so do I.
    I guess his guarantee is validified !   =D>

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • EdGripEdGrip Frets: 736
    This^. Either mods deleting old sales threads, or the author changing the asking price to "SOLD!". By all means tell us it's gone, but leave the asking price - it's useful reference. Without it, we're all left with searching ended listings on eBay, the fee-inflated prices of which are the reason we're all trading here in the first place. 
    And I think feelers are daft, too. "Does anybody want to buy my thing?" is the same thing as "For Sale", so just get on with it. 
    It's as if the seller is frightened of committing to the situation if everything goes tits-up and someone actually buys the amp that he doesn't particularly want to sell. If you're putting it out there because you want someone to surprise you with some unconsidered trifle to trade for your thing, just put "FT: Fuckoff-Pricey Amps BJ30 for something interesting".
     - Ed
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28197
    I can assure you that the moderator and admin teams will not be deleting any old for-sale threads in the foreseeable future. We're unlikely to run out of disc space and we accept that old threads are a useful resource.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • fretfinderfretfinder Frets: 5037
    edited August 2013
    monquixote said: I think feelers are stupid, but I'm not bothered about banning them. The less rules we have the better IMO.

Hope no one 
    failed to dig my post-modernist irony and thinks I literally meant ban the word! 

Like you I just think it's stupid.
    250+ positive trading feedbacks: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57830/
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33797
    @octatonic, WTF, it appears you have too much time on your hands young man, oops, and apparently so do I.
    I guess his guarantee is validified !   =D>
    Pretty weird eh?