School me on pickups for Acoustics

What's Hot
Now then,

I have recently come into possession of a slightly bigger than parlour size acoustic which I would like to start gigging.

I currently use an oldish Yamaha acoustic with electrics/preamp build in. It's ok but I would love to use my new acoustic. The Yamaha doesn't sound great acoustically or plugged in (but is very practical and plays really well)

I don't really want to drill the new acoustic for any pickup although that's not completely out of the question.

I don't have an iPhone so iRig is a no go.

What can you recommend and what are the pros and cons with different types of Acoustic pickups? What's my scope for under £100? Budget is flexible. I want the acoustic to sound as good plugged in as it does unplugged! Probably not possible but how close can I get?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FloofFloof Frets: 17
    I don't think the iRig Acoustic relies on an iPhone - it's just a naming thing 
  • Floof said:
    I don't think the iRig Acoustic relies on an iPhone - it's just a naming thing 
    Ahhhh! Shows what I know - I shall investigate!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • If you want a sound as close as possible to your acoustic sound then stick a mic in front of it, everything else requires a compromise. For your budget I'd get a Seymour Duncan Woody soundhole pickup, easy to fit and remove and no drilling required.
  • mgawmgaw Frets: 5261
    K&K pure western mini,
  • mgaw said:
    K&K pure western mini,
    + 1000
  • My experience of the iRig is that it sounds OK but prone to feedback when things get louder. A K&K Pure Mini is fitted to one of my acoustics and is great for the price and unobtrusive. Just for gigging, you might be fine with a magnetic soundhole pickup. I like the Fishman Rare Earth. 
  • LewyLewy Frets: 4195
    K&K Pure Mini is absolutely the best sound you can get within your budget and it's one of the best sounds you can get at any budget.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72325
    Lewy said:
    K&K Pure Mini is absolutely the best sound you can get within your budget and it's one of the best sounds you can get at any budget.
    This.

Although you will probably have to pay someone to fit it, if you're not confident about reaming out the endpin hole in your guitar and gluing things inside when you can't see what you're doing! It's not *that* difficult but it might be a bit daunting if you have't done one before.

It's also important to check in advance that it will fit your guitar, as some - including many parlour guitars - have very small bridgeplates, which can make the positioning difficult or impossible.

Failing that, the Fishman Rare Earth Passive is probably the best of the soundhole pickups for under £100, although there are better ones (including the Rare Earth Active) above that.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Seems pretty unanimous - K&K it is. Sounds like iRig won't be fit for purpose. Mic'ing up isn't really a practical option for me live!
  • ICBM said:
    Lewy said:
    This.

Although you will probably have to pay someone to fit it, if you're not confident about reaming out the endpin hole in your guitar and gluing things inside when you can't see what you're doing! It's not *that* difficult but it might be a bit daunting if you have't done one before.

It's also important to check in advance that it will fit your guitar, as some - including many parlour guitars - have very small bridgeplates, which can make the positioning difficult or impossible.

Failing that, the Fishman Rare Earth Passive is probably the best of the soundhole pickups for under £100, although there are better ones (including the Rare Earth Active) above that.
    Thanks for the heads up! I don't really want to butcher the guitar so would probably just pay someone to do it properly. It's a nice acoustic. Will do a NGD soon...
  • Chris_JChris_J Frets: 140
    The K&k mini is great value. It just works. Sounds great. No fuss and no batteries. 
  • MartinBMartinB Frets: 198
    If your budget is tight, JJB pickups seem very similar to the K&K and cost a bit less.  I think they may even be based around the same piezo elements.  I have one in a guitar, and while that guitar hasn't had much live use it does sound good.  
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    I’m on the lookout for an in between size acoustic, so interested to know what you got. Will be sticking a k and k in!
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

• sev112sev112 Frets: 2764
    If you get he iRig acoustic rather than just the mic, the pre-amp has a really quite good feedback cancellation system - just hit the big button and it disappears, it has circa 6 different frequencies it can cancel as required
  • usedtobe said:
    I’m on the lookout for an in between size acoustic, so interested to know what you got. Will be sticking a k and k in!

https://i.imgur.com/nBmBLi4.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/dTquiXD.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/JwngEs5.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/v8LUPmZ.jpg

It's an Auden Julia Players acoustic. Entry level for them (still 500 quid ish I think? I got given this one so not 100% sure). UK made.

I've been so impressed by it. Each time I pick it up I never want to put it down!