Ibanez Tubescreamer amp - any experiences?

thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9717
As per the title really, does anybody have any experiences or thoughts on the tube screamer amps they did? The TSA15 I think its called, head or combo. Seem well appointed with an fx loop, clean channel, tube screamer for drive, master volume. Am looking for something that can do low volume fender cleans and some non-marshall style drive.

I play Jeff Buckley type stuff clean with lots of reverb, and White Stripes or Strokes stuff with overdrive.

Would also consider using it as a power amp and bypassing the preamp, using external preamps into the fx return. I also like to dummy load with speaker IRs into monitors.

I suspect it'll still be as hard as the 68 Custom Princeton I currently have to get low volume sounds but maybe worth a try.

Any other small fender flavored amps with reverb or fx loop?

Thanks
Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I must admit I only played through the TSA15 I tried for maybe 10-15 minutes. My impression of it was the clean channel was very sterile and lacked character. The overdrive was something similar to trapping an extremely pissed off wasp in a small tin can. It was raspy and thin sounding which I hated almost immediately. That's obviously only my findings and you may absolutely love it and find it suits your needs perfectly.  I'd say find one and try it. They are pretty rare I think as they weren't very successful when launched. Good luck with the tone adventure man.

Bo
  • paulphoenixpaulphoenix Frets: 141
    edited October 2017
    I own the TSA15 combo, gigged it for a year or so.

I've never owned a Fender amp for "proper" cleans for comparison but....

I was really happy with the clean channel, and was even happier when i swapped out the speaker (stock Celestion seventy/80 for a G12M).

The TS circuit was great for adding a boost and extra grit to my pedalboard for solos, but i ended up just using the clean channel as a pedal platform. 

From memory, the fx loop is not where the loop should be - i think it's placed post tube screamer but still before the preamp? this never bothered me but i would research this little fact if you rely on/need a proper fx loop. 

it's plenty loud, and I think it looks very cool and retro in white tolex - I re-badged mine to further shroud the amp in mystery (or to disguise my shame?) from the local muso's whom gave the amp much praise when they heard it - especially this one guy who was playing through a MESA  at a local festival. 

• BorkBork Frets: 256
    I have a couple of tsa5 combos. I bought them after playing through a tsa15. Great amps, neutral sounding and I don't use the tubescreamer circuit.

[This space for rent]

• mbembe Frets: 1840
    edited October 2017
    I have a TSA-5. Clean all the way up to max. volume. Changed the Ruby tubes for Tung-Sol reissue 12ax7 and TAD 6V6.

Sweet little thing I have used full bore for small intimate gigs, I turn the Tubescreamer on with the footswitch for lead.
    Do you get much compression with the different tubes?

[This space for rent]

edited October 2017
    Bork said:
    Do you get much compression with the different tubes?
    It did sound more compressed with a JJ 12AX7, I think partly because it was less gain or less headroom than the Ruby. In the preamp I prefer Tung-Sol first, Ruby second and I gave the JJ away to a mate. 

I started trying different tubes because the Ruby 6v6 rattled annoyingly on a low G note. 
    I might try a JJ 12AX7 myself then.  I know 5E3 combos aren't supposed to have much compression but it would be a nice thing to have.

[This space for rent]

Bork said:
    I might try a JJ 12AX7 myself then.  I know 5E3 combos aren't supposed to have much compression but it would be a nice thing to have.
    Any particular reason why you don't use the Tubescreamer?

The easiest way to get compression on a TSA-5 is to use the Tubescreamer as a clean boost. Set the Overdrive knob low, the Level knob high and the Tone knob high to level out the mid boost.
    mbe said:
    Bork said:

The easiest way to get compression on a TSA-5 is to use the Tubescreamer as a clean boost. Set the Overdrive knob low, the Level knob high and the Tone knob high to level out the mid boost.
    Mainly because the amp doesn't have an effects loop and using it means my overdrive comes after delays and modulation effects.  Ill try your suggestion of the clean boost though.

[This space for rent]

Bork said:
    mbe said:
    Bork said:

Mainly because the amp doesn't have an effects loop and using it means my overdrive comes after delays and modulation effects.  Ill try your suggestion of the clean boost though.
    Yes that lack of FX loop limits the versatility. I read that the retro TSA5TVR has an FX loop but strangely Ibanez have put it between preamp and Tubescreamer.

Do you use your amps as a stereo pair?
    I do, perhaps a loop could be added as a mod but i have things sorted more or less as they are.

[This space for rent]