(Coming) back from the dead

What's Hot
Looking at the timestamps on the original photos, I cast this aside in early 2014.

That's a one-piece Walnut top on a Korina body, finished with one of the Wudtone kits.

But I really didn't like the off-puke colour that it produced.  After a fair few hours spent hand-carving the top, I was too annoyed with the finish to do anything about it, so I just put it to one side and tried to forget about it.

But, adopting the self-imposed principle of finishing old half-finished projects before I start anything new (and watching what @Rabs has been doing with his walnut) this one is next on the list.

First job was to remove the previous finish.  A few bits of sandpaper, and a few hours later, and I've got this ...

On the upside, at least the pukey-brown is largely gone.  On the downside, the top is pinker and less striking than I'd remembered.

But, with a couple of coats of simple Danish oil on it, it's looking a bit better ...

I'll probably add some more coats to build up the finish / shine, but if anyone's got any other suggestions, now's a good time to mention them!
Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• TTonyTTony Frets: 27486
    If it works out nicely, there's a bit more where that one came from ...

0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3054
    Nice wood! And a pleasing body shape.......I have a feeling it will bee nice when done..
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Andyjr1515Andyjr1515 Frets: 3127
    On the second one, @Ttony, try @WezV's tru- oil slurry and buff approach. Tru- oil was just made for walnut....
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16671
    it works with danish oil too.   doesn't fill as well (its not the reason i do it),  but still gets a really nice feel and semi gloss shine
  • mikem8634mikem8634 Frets: 382
    That is already looking stunning, and lovely lines on that carve too.
    try @WezV's tru- oil slurry and buff approach
    He should really do a tutorial thread on that approach.
    :D

Have just watched the video though again.  I've only put a couple of coats of Danish on it so far, so I think the next stage may indeed be a bit of wet sanding.
    :)
  • Adam_MDAdam_MD Frets: 3420
    That's looking really good now Tony.
  • RabsRabs Frets: 2608
    tFB Trader

Ohh nice .......   The thing with Tru Oil is that the amber tint that its got generally tends to just make the wood that much darker...  That walnut that I just used was African Walnut too which has a really rich colour.

https://i.imgur.com/xRIxsr7.jpg

• GSPBASSESGSPBASSES Frets: 2349
    tFB Trader
    TTony said:

But, adopting the self-imposed principle of finishing old half-finished projects before I start anything new (and watching what @Rabs has been doing with his walnut) this one is next on the list.

If you're into that now I've got at least 20 maybe 30 part finished Strat's Tele's LP's, LPJ's, V' s , SG's, Explorers, P bases, Jazz basses and a lot of other stuff that can't remember the name of. I have grave doubts I'll get them finished before I retire.

Your life will improve when you realise it’s better to be alone than chase people who do not really care about you. Saying YES to happiness means learning to say NO to things and people that stress you out.

https://www.facebook.com/grahame.pollard.39/

GSPBASSES said:
    TTony said:

If you're into that now I've got at least 20 maybe 30 part finished Strat's Tele's LP's, LPJ's, V' s , SG's, Explorers, P bases, Jazz basses and a lot of other stuff that can't remember the name of. I have grave doubts I'll get them finished before I retire.

I wouldn't make this offer to anyone else, but If it'd help you out @GSPBasses, I'd be most pleased to receive a large consignment of part builds from you
    ;)
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8704
    Ditto
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • mikem8634mikem8634 Frets: 382
    You folk need apprentices.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • GSPBASSESGSPBASSES Frets: 2349
    tFB Trader
    mikem8634 said:
    Funny you should say that, a friend of mine who is trained in making classical guitars, also work for 12th Fret and is currently making acoustic guitars somewhere in Hastings. Is making the transition into solid electric guitars, and asked if he can come work with me for a while.. Not sure if this is as a apprentice but might have  possibilities. He is a professional bass player but found constantly on the road all over Europe was not to his liking so is now looking for a new career.

Your life will improve when you realise it’s better to be alone than chase people who do not really care about you. Saying YES to happiness means learning to say NO to things and people that stress you out.

https://www.facebook.com/grahame.pollard.39/

• NomadNomad Frets: 549
    GSPBASSES said:
    mikem8634 said:
    Funny you should say that, a friend of mine who is trained in making classical guitars, also work for 12th Fret and is currently making acoustic guitars somewhere in Hastings. Is making the transition into solid electric guitars, and asked if he can come work with me for a while.. Not sure if this is as a apprentice but might have  possibilities. He is a professional bass player but found constantly on the road all over Europe was not to his liking so is now looking for a new career.

Yeah, but is he any good at making tea and sweeping the floor?

Nomad
    Nobody loves me but my mother... and she could be jivin' too...

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Nomad said:

sweeping the floor?
    Have you seen the photos of Graham's workshop - floor sweeping is an annual task
    ;)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • NomadNomad Frets: 549
    TTony said:
    Nomad said:

sweeping the floor?
    Have you seen the photos of Graham's workshop - floor sweeping is an annual task
    ;)

That's why he needs an apprentice. :)

Nomad
    Nobody loves me but my mother... and she could be jivin' too...

try @WezV's tru- oil slurry and buff approach
    Whoooaaaaa!!

I did some wet-sanding / slurrying today, and it's incredible.  I have *never* achieved a smoother finish with any other approach, and it's no harder to do it this way either - if anything, I'd say it's probably an easier finish to apply.

Incredibubbles.

In other news, I had an eBay neck (from one of those Chinese suppliers who'll essentially make a neck to your specs) that had been fitted into this body, so it makes a whole lot of sense to use that neck now.  Except that the fret-ends had been shaped way to shallow (looks like they used the fret-end file the wrong way around, so I've got a 30deg angled end, rather than a 60deg angled end).

That neck is now de-fretted, and I'm going to add some position markers too whilst I'm at it (I'd specced it without markers on the board).

Decided that it was worth spending time getting the neck right after I saw - or felt - how well the body turned out with the slurry oil finish.
    :)
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16671
    It can be messier and certainly takes more effort than just wiping on, but it's worth it.

and if you get a bit wrong you can just go back a step
    WezV said:
    It can be messier and certainly takes more effort than just wiping on, but it's worth it.
    I didn't find it that much messier really, although I used a few sheets of kitchen roll underneath the body to soak up the overflow.

And the effort was really worthwhile.  I used 600 grit wet & dry, and that removed the last remnants of any rough spots (in the corners of the carved top) really effectively.

After all these years, I've finally tried it, and like it!!
  • Andyjr1515Andyjr1515 Frets: 3127
    TTony said:
    WezV said:
    I didn't find it that much messier really, although I used a few sheets of kitchen roll underneath the body to soak up the overflow.

And the effort was really worthwhile.  I used 600 grit wet & dry, and that removed the last remnants of any rough spots (in the corners of the carved top) really effectively.

After all these years, I've finally tried it, and like it!!
    @WezV's tutorial was one of the most important learning experiences of all the things I've picked up along the way in the guitar building skills journey.

Apart from anything else, it has fully solved - for the finishes I generally use - grain filling.  It does it.  And it does it so much more effectively and much more easily than any other method or material I've used.  

When I gloss, I now do this first.  Even when I stain, I do a variation of the same technique.  And when I made the recent ultra-modern bass, I used the same technique with Osmo varnish rather than tru-oil.  With that one, the finish has to be felt to be believed.

I'm pleased you've discovered it too, @TTony ;)