Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Just found a chip of paint off the back of my Strat :-(

What's Hot
siraxemansiraxeman Frets: 1935
On the bottom edge facing towards the back....its Olympic White/maple. I don't know when this has happened but I've only just found it so now I need to get some kind of repair done so the chip doesn't get much bigger n start soming off in chunks and flaking off. How easy would it be to get some kind of match to that colour and fill it in? I had a fantastic chip repaired on a Sunburst Strat some years ago...but it was on the black coloured edge of the guitar. Black = easy to match up and it was almost invisible after the repair, not sure I'm gonna get very close on Olympic White. (Creamy coloured) Anyone any ideas/suggestions? Excuse me now whilst I go and cry. Sniff.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• LixartoLixarto Frets: 1618
    You could shrug and carry on instead.
    "I can see you for what you are; an idiot barely in control of your own life. And smoking weed doesn't make you cool; it just makes you more of an idiot."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • frankusfrankus Frets: 4719
    Sell it as a relic'd guitar...
    A sig-nat-eur? What am I meant to use this for ffs?! Is this thing recording?
  • The first is always the worst on a guitar. Jam out some blues and get over it, they'll be many more!

The only reason I would fix a chip on a flawless guitar is to sell it on in immaculate condition. If it's a keeper, don't worry about it. I love my tele but flakes of paint just keep falling off it. It'll look very Rory in 10 years if it carries on this way!
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72322
    I'm pretty sure the colour VW used to paint old Beetles is a very close match - try Halfords for those little car re-touch pens. Take the guitar with you :).

Or do what the others said! It's a Strat, not a PRS ;).

(I should mention that my dark trans-purple PRS has been re-touched in many places with a permanent marker :D.)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6104

Oh bless. It's lost its cherry. This means it's an officially "working" guitar now and you are its master! Un-dented Strats are just plain wrong!

(pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"

• The only reason I would fix a chip on a flawless guitar is to sell it on in immaculate condition. If it's a keeper, don't worry about it. I love my tele but flakes of paint just keep falling off it. It'll look very Rory in 10 years if it carries on this way!
    Worn strats are awesome. Think of it this way - if it's a poly finish then you've just improved the body resonance by 0.0000000000001%

There's quite an amusing bit in the Ghost Blues documentary film about Rory Gallagher, where Johnny Marr talks about trying to 'Rorify' his own guitar in woodwork class using a blowtorch when the teacher wasn't looking.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • frankus said:
    Sell it as a relic'd guitar...
    This ;)
  • EdGripEdGrip Frets: 736
    Good. First blood. Now you no longer have to fear the first ding and can relax.
  • LewLew Frets: 1657
    edited February 2014
    Congratulations! My new guitar is awaiting its first big knock. It already has belt scratches on the back, though!
  • timmysofttimmysoft Frets: 1962
    Its now worth three times the amount because its a relic with a distressed finish!

• beed84beed84 Frets: 2409
    Roughed up looking strats are attractive.  Keep it as is.
  • DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3902
    Strip it and refinish it ;)
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • NiallmoNiallmo Frets: 467
    Unless you are absolutely fastidious and can't cope with the ding then leave it be. It's starting to tell its own story. "The case of the mysterious chip in the middle if the night."
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    siraxeman said:
    On the bottom edge facing towards the back....its Olympic White/maple. I don't know when this has happened but I've only just found it so now I need to get some kind of repair done so the chip doesn't get much bigger n start soming off in chunks and flaking off. How easy would it be to get some kind of match to that colour and fill it in? I had a fantastic chip repaired on a Sunburst Strat some years ago...but it was on the black coloured edge of the guitar. Black = easy to match up and it was almost invisible after the repair, not sure I'm gonna get very close on Olympic White. (Creamy coloured) Anyone any ideas/suggestions? Excuse me now whilst I go and cry. Sniff.
    Banged my Sunburst Strat and a big lump of finish came off ... it now has lots of dings and scratches from playing and looks used and cool. Guitars were made for playing ... ;-)

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • JDEJDE Frets: 1092
    First cut is the deepest and all that. You probably won't notice it in a year. My eldest dinged my Tele within 5 minutes of the case being opened the day I got it.
    Oly white isn't a great colour to attempt to match. I don't think it's worth a refin to be honest.
  • JookyChapJookyChap Frets: 4234
    Christ - sell it.

Sell it quick.

Buy a shiny new one before someone else notices.

What's wrong with you people, aren't you listening???

FFS HE HAS CHIPPED HIS STRAT

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28337
    That's why I love worn finishes, I don't give a toss about extra dings. I hate precious guitars.
  • GruGru Frets: 339
    I completely understand your pain. I love new shiny things and get quite annoyed when they get marked/dinged, probably why I am finding it so hard to purchase a brand new Strat, even the CV tele I have could have done with having a few more marks on board. I was so much more comfortable with the old Strat which is now sold. Maybe I am starting to get why people buy roadworn. :-)
  • siraxemansiraxeman Frets: 1935
    I like so many Strats n Teles that are old and banged up looking...but they're usually nitro thin finishes. Just looks wrong on my Strat with chunk of paint 1/3rd of an inch circular missing and bare wood exposed. You can see how thick that paint is on a USA Series Strat...proper thick 'ah tells thee!

And I also have got a few lacquer/varnish chips on the edges of my PRS...I was wondering if they'd repair but not sure i'd get any sympathy from you horrid lot. Your a harsh bunch. You all lack compression. Oh yes. :p
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72322
    siraxeman said:
    And I also have got a few lacquer/varnish chips on the edges of my PRS...I was wondering if they'd repair but not sure i'd get any sympathy from you horrid lot. Your a harsh bunch. You all lack compression. Oh yes. :p
    I hate compression. It screws up my playing dynamics.

;)

I bought my PRS in a scratch 'n' dent clearance sale from a shop - they knocked seven hundred pounds off the price, down to not much more than what the going rate for a second hand one was at the time. I asked if they would knock some more off if they dinged it again, but they said no :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom