Celestion V30 : £80.75

1x12 plywood cab loaded with Celestion V30: £78.24

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• martmart Frets: 5205
    That does seem quite mad. :D
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72326
    It just means that the factory in China which builds the cabs is getting the speakers at a huge bulk discount. It does seem a bit daft though!

And that the cabinets are probably assembled by child slave labour or political dissidents, which you will have forever on your conscience if you buy one :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24270
    The Harley Benton 2x12 cab with V30 is immense.

Really well made cab. Much better than current Marshall efforts.
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2357
    I suppose if you wanted to get pedantic you don't have a choice of the impedance with that one (though the 2x12 has 16 ohm versions so maybe that's covered if you need 2).

But yeah, if you know you want v30s it pretty much makes more sense to get the HB cabs than to get the speakers separately, as you have a free cab basically.
  • ICBM said:
    It just means that the factory in China which builds the cabs is getting the speakers at a huge bulk discount. It does seem a bit daft though!

And that the cabinets are probably assembled by child slave labour or political dissidents, which you will have forever on your conscience if you buy one :).
    It's a bit sad, especially considering I own a lot of MIC stuff in general (you can't avoid it), but that is pretty much good enough reason for me to avoid.  Despite the amazing value, especially the 2x12.  

I've recommended these cabs to plenty of folks, though, my mate has a 2x12 and it's absolutely great.  
    Aren't the speakers made in China too? I mean I realise not every factory in China will necessarily have the same working practises etc., and maybe ICBM knows something I don't... but not buying the HB cab because it's made in China but then buying the speakers separately which are also made in China...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Dave_Mc said:
    Aren't the speakers made in China too? I mean I realise not every factory in China will necessarily have the same working practises etc., and maybe ICBM knows something I don't... but not buying the HB cab because it's made in China but then buying the speakers separately which are also made in China...
    Hadn't considered that! 

But I don't need to, because I'd go for Eminence or Tayden speakers :)
  • jpfampsjpfamps Frets: 2734
    What's totally bonkers about this is that the cab is £1 cheaper than UK retail on a V30.

I know someone who ordered the 112 cab because they wanted a V30 and it was cheaper than ordering a V30 in the UK, even when the shipping costs were included!

Mind you I've often found that shipping cost from Germany are very cheap when compared with shipping within the UK.

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72326
    Dave_Mc said:
    The speakers are definitely made in China - that's why the cabinet factory will be able to get them so cheap. They may even be next door, although I have no idea.

I was joking - while the working conditions in the cabinet factory probably aren't quite as nice as the ones in the Celestion factory (speakers require a bit cleaner and higher-precision industrial processes), I doubt they're really made by children or forced labour.

Just poorly-paid workers, by our standards.

Hadn't considered that! 

Eminence speakers are now mostly made in China as well, for what it's worth. I don't know anything about Tayden.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• jpfampsjpfamps Frets: 2734
    ICBM said:
    Dave_Mc said:
    The speakers are definitely made in China - that's why the cabinet factory will be able to get them so cheap. They may even be next door, although I have no idea.

I was joking - while the working conditions in the cabinet factory probably aren't quite as nice as the ones in the Celestion factory (speakers require a bit cleaner and higher-precision industrial processes), I doubt they're really made by children or forced labour.

Hadn't considered that! 

Eminence speakers are now mostly made in China as well, for what it's worth. I don't know anything about Tayden.
    All Tayden speakers are made in the UK using UK-made soft parts (cones, suspension, cork gasket), and UK-made CNC machines motor units (more accurate than stamped parts a la Celestion, Eminence etc). 

The baskets Tayden use are made in China, as are the magnets. The baskets could be stamped here, but the tooling costs would be prohibitive (£20-30k). I'm pretty certain there is no UK source of magnets either.
  • ForgeForge Frets: 431
    ICBM said:
    Dave_Mc said:

Check the reports on the Cisco factories, so horrendous they import labour from outside China then take away the passports.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • bertiebertie Frets: 13568
    Dave_Mc said
    But yeah, if you know you want v30s it pretty much makes more sense to get the HB cabs than to get the speakers separately, as you have a free cab basically.
    unless the difference in shipping is more than what you could recover selling the empty cab !
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
  • The working conditions of UK Amazon distribution warehouses are bad enough.

Whaddayagonnado?

• fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24270
    bertie said:
    Dave_Mc said
    unless the difference in shipping is more than what you could recover selling the empty cab !

Shipping from Thomann is a flat £10

Free if you spend 200 or more.
  • The working conditions of UK Amazon distribution warehouses are bad enough.

Whaddayagonnado?

Based on the Panorama documentry shown last year or personal experience?
  • bertie said:
    Dave_Mc said

It's not even that, it's €10!
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    Hmmmm. K100's are £89... not too bad a price.
  • How will a V30 sound with the speaker in my blackstar ht60 soloist (70/80?). I fancy a 2x12 ministack for that price. Cheers. Kelvin
    Dave_Mc said:
    Hadn't considered that! 

:))

I just buy whatever... I like all 3 speaker manufacturers (from what I've tried by them).
    jpfamps said:
    What's totally bonkers about this is that the cab is £1 cheaper than UK retail on a V30.

I know someone who ordered the 112 cab because they wanted a V30 and it was cheaper than ordering a V30 in the UK, even when the shipping costs were included!

Mind you I've often found that shipping cost from Germany are very cheap when compared with shipping within the UK.

I've especially noticed that, being in Northern Ireland. Thomann ships free to me (at least it used to... I see now it says "mainland UK" in relation to its free postage, but sometimes that includes NI and sometimes it doesn't :)) ) and the vast majority of British shops don't.
    ICBM said:
    Dave_Mc said:

Hadn't considered that! 

You do hear some pretty iffy things about working practises in China, but I've never been so I dunno.

Aren't the retail eminences still made in the USA? Any I've got said they were made in the USA (though obviously exactly what that means might be up for some debate). The OEM ones are normally made in China (and any of the OEM ones I've tried were a bit guff, frankly).
    bertie said:
    Dave_Mc said

It's not even that, it's €10!
    Yeah, that's probably less than I'd be charged on a single speaker from England :))
  • One of my best friends was made in China and he seems quite well put together :P
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom