Too thick to pick?

What's Hot
A pick ramble....

I was sort of happy with Dunlop Ultex .73 for a while....but then one day I tried some heavier picks including a Dunlop Primtone 2mm. 

I've modified the 2mm (rounded off the point and roughened up the surfaces) and the single note articulation is (to my ears) fantastic - so much sparkle and clarity and volume. A quantum leap from the old .73mm (unsurprisingly, with hindsight).

The problem is that when I strum with the 2mm, the result waivers between sparkle/articulation and thin/raspy, the lack of flex being a double edged sword.

So my question - do you find there is a compromise to be reached on finding a pick that works reasonably well for single note articulation and strumming fluidity (but not ideal for either) or have you found a pick that gives you optimal performance on both counts?

I'm wondering whether I should stick with the 2mm and just learn to get the best out of it for strumming. All the other picks I've tried just sound so much smaller on single notes that, frankly, I don't care how good a strumming sound they give, I don't find them inspiring to play. Or should I continue the hunt?

(I suspect a Blue Chip is in my future - but £120 to try say 3 is somewhat hard to swallow. I'd pay £40 for a pick that I knew was THE pick for me but not sure I want to pay that to find out in 10 seconds that it's not THE ONE). 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• For a compromise the .88 nylon, or the Dava Control Nylon (providing you adjust grip) work for me.

Otherwise there’s a world of difference between a .73 and a 2mm pick on an acoustic. I often use a .60 for strumming, going thicker as per the ratio of single notes to strumming. For picked parts a heavy pick does sometimes just sound better. 

There’s no perfect pick, so just have a few different ones and change as per what the song needs 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FloofFloof Frets: 17
    imho the trick to the thick pick is to be continually adjusting your grip - tight for a single note, looser/with a bit more drag for a strum. I'm terrible at it, but on the brief occasions it goes right it's the best balance I think. 

I've also used a Data Control which is basically a slightly simpler way of achieving the same thing - based on how you hold/squeeze it it acts like a thick stiff pick or a more flexible one. Although tbh it'd be better to persevere a bit more with a plain thick pick
  • guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7960
    edited October 2017
    There are sounds you get with a thin pick you just don't get from a thick pick held loosely.  The pick needs to flex a bit for it to get that bright thin even attack for certain strumming sounds.  A thick pick held loosely has a different attack and sound to it, can sound a bit crashy (if that makes any sense)

I think you can better get away with that stuff on electric but on acoustic the pick makes a big difference to the sound IMO
  • mgawmgaw Frets: 5261
    i persevered with the thicker 1.5mm pick, now get a great strum sound and its good for runs, but as others say above different picks bring a different array of sounds to the table
  • I play loads of single note lines with occasional strumming. I used Ultex James Hetfield .94 for quite a while. Great "celluloid-type" sound. I tend to put nicks on the plectrum edges with Ultex, so I compromised on Tortex .88 (don't like the sound of the 1.00 Tortex).

Agree with @Floof that your grip on the plectrum is the key thing with thick'uns.
    I'm just a Maserati in a world of Kias.
  • Yeah on that point I wish all picks had a grip like the Dunlop Nylon/Max grips.  I never seem to drop those (bet I've just cursed myself)
  • jellyrolljellyroll Frets: 3073
    I have this idea that if I persevere with a thick pick I will subconsciously adjust my grip and wrist action after a while to adapt. Here's hoping....
  • Might be useful to practice some exercises to promote that.

A basic one is to play as quietly as possible, focusing on being even.

Another thing is if you find you're being a bit stiff with your grip check your breathing.  A lot of people hold their breath while playing, which makes them tense up.  If you find you are doing this, a really simple exercise is to play an exercise you know and then read something out loud from a website or news article.  If you can play it in time and read it normally with a normal breathing pattern you'll be more easily able to separate your breathing when just playing in general, which will help you relax.  This also helps with being able to sing and play too
  • jellyrolljellyroll Frets: 3073
    Might be useful to practice some exercises to promote that.

A basic one is to play as quietly as possible, focusing on being even.

Another thing is if you find you're being a bit stiff with your grip check your breathing.  A lot of people hold their breath while playing, which makes them tense up.  If you find you are doing this, a really simple exercise is to play an exercise you know and then read something out loud from a website or news article.  If you can play it in time and read it normally with a normal breathing pattern you'll be more easily able to separate your breathing when just playing in general, which will help you relax.  This also helps with being able to sing and play too
    Thanks @GFB, I hadn't considered my breathing. I'll try that.
  • stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2197
    edited October 2017
    I use some sort of standard Jazz 3 derivative pick for virtually everything. As others have said, I hold it lightly for strumming.

I've used the amber coloured Ultex version for a long time. The spec says it's 1.38mm thick. I quite like the newer Jim Dunlop John Petrucci Primetone Jazz 3 pick with the edge bevel (not the bigger black one) which the spec says is 1.4mm thick. It feels like it has a bit more glide off the strings, but I'm still not sure whether it's worth the extra money.

Having said that, on acoustic, I might on some occasions use a thinner pick if I'm looking for a clickier tone for strumming.

It's not a competition.
  • I use a " v pick dimension junior" that I bought from a trade stand at the last Mansons guitar show, love it to bits & hope they are at the next show so I  can buy some spares also have a "jalapeno" pick from the same stand which is nearly as good, no idea what they are made from, but they are extremely grippy,
    jellyroll said:
    I have this idea that if I persevere with a thick pick I will subconsciously adjust my grip and wrist action after a while to adapt. Here's hoping....
    I labour under the same misapprehension! Hopefully we're both right :-) 

There are sounds you get with a thin pick you just don't get from a thick pick held loosely. 
    I agree - it's why I avoid thin picks 
  • Jim Dunlop 0.51mm stainless rigid = the best general purpose pick in the universe, for acoustic OR electric
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16095
    I use a very thick 4mm V pick ........it is very fast for runs and tremolo picking on electric and very easy once you get used to it but it doesn't work so well on acoustic but I have learnt to use a very relaxed grip and only leave a very short tip of the pick exposed to the strings and finally it sound perfectly good on acoustic