monitor placement

What's Hot
see the Tannoy Reveal monitor to left of centre in the pic ...
http://i1202.photobucket.com/albums/bb376/musophilr/CNV00024_zpsn6fvbvc3.jpg
it sits on top of a KEF Celeste III standmount speaker that is on its stand but otherwise covered with the original manufacturer's cardboard box and covered with newspaper. In the other corner is another of the same.

I have now identified a use (in another room) for the KEFs, so need an alternative way of mounting the Tannoys. If I could get a tall enough stand I could be happy, otherwise maybe a wall-mounting bracket (the end wall is brick, I think the outside side wall is breeze block, and the inside side wall is probably brick - so we're not looking at mounting things on cheap cardboard stud walls).

Any suggestions/recommendations/warnings?

"Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    That's a fireplace - is there a chimney? Not great to have speakers on a wall by a chimney.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7769
    Get a larger desk and put them on iso acoustic stands. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • There's no chimney. The fireplace is fake. There's a gas heater in it that I don't use.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27497
    Whats the recommended placement for those - ie distance away from a wall, etc.

If they're happy against a wall, then *solid* wall brackets should be OK.  Else you're probably going to need floor stands.

As with most things hi-fi, there are many options at different price points ...
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • I was wondering about a wall-mount bracket on the side wall that would hold the side of the speaker about 16" from the side wall, and placed so that there was about 30" between the end wall and the back of the speaker. And toe them in slightly.
    Apparently, the "rules" are that
    1. you should sit about 1/3/rd "down" the room, ie you've got 1/3rd of the length of the room in front of your seating position and 2/3rds behind you.
    2. the 2 monitors and you should form an equilateral triangle in shape
    3. the monitors should be at ear-level height
    I'm guessing that by putting the monitors on the side walls, they're going to be too far apart to fit into an equilateral triangle, unless the room is very long and/or quite narrow?
  • Corners are the worst possible place to put loudspeakers, especially if you want to mix music. TTony's list above covers the accepted wisdom.

Looking at that pic, I would say position them roughly either side of the 'fireplace', as far from the end wall as is practical. You could get a pair of tall stands or, as mentioned above, a larger workdesk and place them on that. I can second the recommendation of foam isolating pads - they really do work wonders.

It's good to have some 'wriggle room' with placement as even a few inches adjustment can potentially make noticeable differences (room nodes and all that)
    This has some advice ...

• I am aware of the equilateral triangle rule, and of the golden ratio rules about how far the speakers should be from the walls. Rarely do i see them put into practice. If I used those rules in my place I think I'd have more wasted space than I know what to do with. I need a bigger house
    @Phil_aka_Pip ; .. you're back .. :-)

In terms of speaker placement use your ears - that's what they're for ... you'll know when you find the sweet spot.

• @Fre@Fretwired

Thank you :)

Yeah, I was wondering if anyone knew of stands or wall-mounting brackets to get/avoid
    @Fre@Fretwired

Thank you :)

Yeah, I was wondering if anyone knew of stands or wall-mounting brackets to get/avoid
    You can buy floor stands inexpensively so your desk top is clear - what are the dimensions of your monitors?

• I could be happy with a stand - less hassle than mounting a wall bracket :)

h=340 d=320 w=210

to clear all the crap I think the stand must hold the base of the speaker at least 1,25m above the floor
  • BTW the speakers in the boxes are not Celeste III, they are Concord IV
    main image

I liked the look of these.

I've got some Oak in my workshop that I'm aiming to turn into something along these lines, for my AE1s (main hifi rather than music room monitors).
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ^ Thats the kind of thing, @TTony, but I'd hate to pay hifi-showroom price for them!

(anyone got any beer crates they don't want?)
  • Found stands with triangular base, height adjustable from 0,9m to 1,4m in Studiospares for £18,50 each :)
    That looks bargaintastic.  I'd be interested in how sturdy they are.
  • TTony said:
    That looks bargaintastic.  I'd be interested in how sturdy they are.
    I'll report back
  • CirrusCirrus Frets: 8491
    I have them, they're perfectly solid and definitely heavy-duty enough that I was comfortable putting my CMS65s on them in our practice room.