Dammit!!! I just can't learn stuff.

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• axisusaxisus Frets: 28337
    I'm stuck again! the widdle is too fast and slowing down just makes it mush. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • aord43aord43 Frets: 287
    axisus said:
    Grunfeld said:
    axisus said:
    Yeah, I've had transcribe for years. Great software but doesn't help you to remember. 
    Perhaps you need to increase the repetitions?
    For example, I know what you mean that some bars are harder to remember than others.
    So in the "Speed Up" section you have an option to set the amount of repetitions the loop plays, at whatever speed you choose, before it speeds up.
    You could set it to play 100 repetitions of 2 bars at 50% speed, before it moves on to play another 100 reps at say 55% speed.  If you do that all the way up to 70% or 100%... that's a lot of repetitions.
    I'm reasonably sure that it would ensure you'd remember how to play those two bars.
    Which you then link to another few bars.  And so on.
    I know it sounds bleedin' obvious but really, it is.
    If you're not remembering it then your hands haven't played it enough.  Surely?
    Basically you are right, I need to treat it more like a task that needs completing rather than an occasional hobby thing. I've started work on the Satch tune again. Feeling determined! I am really not a natural at this stuff though

Treat it like a task that needs completing...this.  That's what I did when I wanted to learn to some acceptable level, the Sunshine of Your Love solo - and played it at the Leicester Jam.  Having a deadline really helped!
    axisus said:
    Er ...... Zero theory. I know notheeeng!
    I bet you know "box 1" or similar.  Look at the solo in that context.  If it's not more or less box 1 then try to find out which scale it's based on.
    axisus said:
    I'm stuck again! the widdle is too fast and slowing down just makes it mush. 
    Just do 2 or three notes, get the timing right albeit a bit slower.  Repeat a number of times.  Then do the next 1, 2, or 3 notes.  Tack them on or stick those two licks together.
    One thing I do sometimes is break it down myself into my own blocks (licks/sub-licks) and write it in words on a computer page.  Eg "G string fret 11 slide to 12, bend up, hammer on...." that kind of thing.  Replay that little block and play along with it.
  • KiniooKinioo Frets: 19
    Morning,
    Well, I mentioned earlier about taking a break (not touching the guitar for a day or not clearing same solo/licks day-in-day-out 1-2hours every day).
    I have been learning few solos at the moment one is a solo from Paranoid (I know its easy but hey-ho)...I managed to get half of it no probs (the easier bit), but when i got to the 2nd half/end I did struggle with some faster runs there...that was last week.
    Last weekend I was busy with other stuff, so didnt have a chance to play my guitar for two days and yesterday I got back to it and I played it all from start to finish! Started at slower 60% tempo but after only few runs I managed to play it at full speed !!!

I also said that I am quite good at memorizing the melody of the solo, so having that in my head and with muscle memory the fingers just run....

I will try tonight again and check if I remember it !!!!!

C. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • great to hear! i struggle for days then after a couple of days lay off BAM there it is :grin: 
    You dont need to remember it as long as your brain and fingers do!
    A couple of days off and I've forgotten stuff!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • axisus said:
    A couple of days off and I've forgotten stuff!
    haha i know exactly where you're coming from :anguished: i just try and play every day for at least 10 mins, even noodling any old shite that i've noodled a million times before. At the very least its keeping the muscle memory there.

I have found that the worst thing to do is get pissed off with yourself, that definately makes me not want to pick a guitar up for a while. be kind to yourself and enjoy it. i play far better when i'm relaxed and not even thinking about what i'm playing, it definately becomes far more fluid. 
    I've been doing the same few notes every day and they are gradually sinking in, although nothing like up to speed - this is just remembering the bloody notes! I can't believe how hard this learning stuff is for me ...

• axisus said:
    I've been doing the same few notes every day and they are gradually sinking in, although nothing like up to speed - this is just remembering the bloody notes! I can't believe how hard this learning stuff is for me ...

you will get up one day and it will all be magically there... ! ive learned mr blue sky recently after promising to do it for 20 years, i got the chords first (obviously) and couldnt remember what chord came next for ages, i was getting sooo mad lol. suddenly it just happened, now im really chuffed.. a small victory for me :joy: 
    i'm sure you cant be worse than me at this learning malarkey, i could give it all up most days
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12354
    I can't do the slowed down thing, has never worked for me, I just have the tab (usually a mish mash of several tabs til it feels right) then draw lines on the paper where the natural breaks are according to my ears then learn them part 1, part 2 etc, etc. Then learn each part at normal speed and sometimes mix it up by playing plat 4, part 1 part 3 etc until I have it down.

I would add that I don't play any fast metal stuff so whether it would work for that I don't know.
    For a solo I have to listen to it over and over and play bits of it on my guitar until I have it going through my head all day and night and I can mentally "play" it.  Then it's memorised and the next task is the not-so-simple one of playing it at full speed without errors.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • KiniooKinioo Frets: 19
    munckee said:
    I can't do the slowed down thing, has never worked for me, I just have the tab (usually a mish mash of several tabs til it feels right) then draw lines on the paper where the natural breaks are according to my ears then learn them part 1, part 2 etc, etc. Then learn each part at normal speed and sometimes mix it up by playing plat 4, part 1 part 3 etc until I have it down.

I would add that I don't play any fast metal stuff so whether it would work for that I don't know.
    This is what I usually do, plus I listen to the original solo/track good few times and 'compare' what I hear with whats in the tab and (usually) end up with some hybrid version...

...However, I do slow down (GuitrPro) tabs with faster licks but no more than 60%.

Chris
    Kinioo said:
    munckee said:

This is what I usually do, plus I listen to the original solo/track good few times and 'compare' what I hear with whats in the tab and (usually) end up with some hybrid version...

...However, I do slow down (GuitrPro) tabs with faster licks but no more than 60%.

Chris
    The trouble with slowing down is that the sound turns to mush as you get slower!
    Even Windows Media Player can slow down playback, with varying degrees of success, slowing to 80 or 90% can be useful.
  • vizviz Frets: 10693
    aord43 said:
    For a solo I have to listen to it over and over and play bits of it on my guitar until I have it going through my head all day and night and I can mentally "play" it.  Then it's memorised and the next task is the not-so-simple one of playing it at full speed without errors.
    This is the method!
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.