Strap Button position

What's Hot
So i recently got an Iceman and it has an extreme case of neck dive!

I'm not one for caring too much about this stuff and usually make do with unbalanced guitars...but this is an extreme case. I find myself having to support the neck as i play, which can get very tiring.

I've done some research online and its a common problem on this particular model (IC400) and the consensus is that the button has to move closer to the neck joint.

Now, i dont have any tools, besides a few screwdrivers at home, and i've never modded a guitar in the past besides sanding down the back of a few necks. What i wanted to know is, what is the work involved in moving the strap button, what are the dangers of drilling holes in a guitar especially so close to the neck join and what could potentially go wrong?..also any other suggestions to remedy the situation.

for reference, here's a shot of where the button is
(BTW...this is not my picture)
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• DamianPDamianP Frets: 499
    edited February 2014
    You will need a drill and a couple of drill bits to do a perfect job. A hand drill will do. A countersink bit would be nice too. . Here's how I drill holes through finish. I typically use a vintage style nitrocellulose that is prone to cracking so this is perhaps more than is required for a poly finish. . Place a small piece of masking tape in the rough area of he new hole. . Mark the position of the hole through the tape with a sharp point. . Remove tape. . Drill a small diameter hole ( this will be the core diameter if the screw). No need to drill full depth yet. . With a heated countersink bit , countersink the hole to a slightly larger diameter than the screw. . Enlarge the hole diameter with a drill fractionally larger than the screw. ( only 2mm deep). . Chamfer the hole with the countersink. . Drill the smaller diameter hole to the depth of the screw. . Fit screw. . Make tea. If you want to be super fussy you can seal the edge of the hole with some thin superglue before you fit the screw. . It sounds long winded but takes no time at all. The counterbored larger hole prevents the finish surrounding the hole being pulled up as the screw is tightened. The drilling sequence prevents damaging the finish while drilling. . Of course you could just wind the screw in without doing any of that. It will work. I wouldn't do it but it's an option if you don't care. . What could go wrong? Not much really. . Worst case, you could drill through the neck, push out a fret, the fret could get caught in the strings twisting the guitar around like a catherine wheel. You panic, grip ever tighter and the weight of the guitar snaps your wris. The guitar then flies across the room and smashes your wifes favourite ornament. You try to clear up the damage, all the while screaming in pain, cut yourself and spill blood all over the carpet, just as your wife ariives home. After she takes you to the hospital she goes online to find a replacement ornament ( the guitar is now in the bin), while doing so she looks at your internet history and finds your collection of " muscle men" videos and files for divorce. You end up homeless and are arrested or exposing yourself at a currys window display while watching Strictly Come Dancing. . So be careful with the drill.
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    I put paragraphs in. It's unreadable now, sorry. Not my fault.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • samzadgansamzadgan Frets: 1471
    there should be option of LOL and Wisdom in one font...i was educated and entertained thoroughly with your post!

The thing i was worried about was not going through the neck to the fretboard, but more about messing with the neck joint, but that doesn't seem to be an issue.

the last thing on my mind was how i fill the current hole? is it just a matter of some plain old putty?
    The neck joint will be fine. No need to worry there. The simple option with the existing hole is to do nothing. It wont have any negative practical effect. A little wood putty or filler will work fine. How far you go with finish is up to you. Anywhere from a quick dab with a marker pen to a colour matched drop fill. It really depends on the colour and how fussy you want to be. Whatever you do it will always show to some extent. Again this really doesn't matter from a practical point. Although I spend a lot of time doing finish repairs on customers guitars, if this were my guitar I'd probably just leave the hole and spend my time playing!
    How do you get paragraphs? Help!
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72339
    I would move it right onto the back of the neck heel - as far forwards as it will go, basically. There's no danger to the neck joint, or of hitting anything with a sensible screw length - the truss rod won't be that deep.

I wouldn't use putty or filler on the old hole - if you don't want to just leave it or put a sticker over it, I would fill it properly with a glued-in tapered wooden dowel and touch up the finish over the top.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• FX_MunkeeFX_Munkee Frets: 2478
    Just to add an extra option for the old hole.
    Put a short screw in it. It will then look like it's supposed to be there :)
    Shot through the heart, and you’re to blame, you give love a bad name. Not to mention archery tuition.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72339
    FX_Munkee said:
    Just to add an extra option for the old hole.
    Put a short screw in it. It will then look like it's supposed to be there :)
    But if you do, countersink the hole and use a smooth-headed screw with no screwdriver burr on it or it will rip your shirt :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein