Strats with a Floyd

What's Hot
Si_Si_ Frets: 384
edited February 2014 in Guitar
I fancy getting a strat with a Floyd. I've been looking about for one and there are a few 90s ones available, but I was wondering would it be a big job to fit a Floyd to an existing 2 pivot strat? I've got a nice strat already so thinking of modding it..

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• gubblegubble Frets: 1746
    Have you considered a MIM Fender Sambora Strat?
    Great guitar with a Dimazio PAF Pro at the bridge and becoming quite collectable I beleive
  • Si_Si_ Frets: 384
    Yea that looks good.. 

I did have a Fender Blacktop Floyd strat for about 20 mins but sent it back, the neck was horrible. If I could find a 2nd hand one I wouldn't mind changing it, but not on a new one.
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700

Does it have to say "Fender" on the headstock?

If not the Jackson Adrian Smith models are 22fret, HSS Floyd Rose equipped Strat bodied (I believe).

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Si_ said:
    I fancy getting a strat with a Floyd. I've been looking about for one and there are a few 90s ones available, but I was wondering would it be a big job to fit a Floyd to an existing 2 pivot strat? I've got a nice strat already so thinking of modding it..

Ibanez RG?
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    Na, fancy a proper strat, Fender on the headstock :)
  • stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7143
    No. 

Seriously get an RG.

Way better that a Strat with a Floyd.

Win a Cort G250 SE Guitar in our Guitar Bomb Free UK Giveaway 

Not as cool looking though...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Si_ said:
    Na, fancy a proper strat, Fender on the headstock :)
    What about the 80's Japanese contemporary models/HM strat with the Kahler tremolo rather than a floyd? I always loved the single pickup model, there was one for sale in a guitar shop in bristol for £300 - i would've snapped it up but didn't get on with the fretboard, which had been scalloped at some point.
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    edited February 2014
    mike_l said:

Does it have to say "Fender" on the headstock?

If not the Jackson Adrian Smith models are 22fret, HSS Floyd Rose equipped Strat bodied (I believe).

Still on my GAS list (now I'm all sorted with my pedal board(s))

http://images.jacksonguitars.com/home/2012/feature/2012-AdrianSmith-SDX.jpg
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    Still on my GAS list (now I'm all sorted with my pedal board(s))

http://images.jacksonguitars.com/home/2012/feature/2012-AdrianSmith-SDX.jpg

doitdoitdoitdoitdoitdoitdoitdoitdoitdoitdoitdoitdoitdoitdoitdoitdoit.

Helpfull ain't I?

8-X

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• FX_MunkeeFX_Munkee Frets: 2478
    Charvel So Cal? but that's HH if pickup config is important.
    It'll be the correct 12" radius neck for the floyd.
    Shot through the heart, and you’re to blame, you give love a bad name. Not to mention archery tuition.
    A Charvel is an option but can't find a good one..
  • Fitting the floyd is no great problem however this depends on how much bend up you want if you want a lot then its out with the router dive bombs a la eddie no problem but you will need to fit a locking nut so out with hacksaw hammer and nails drilling pilot holes in maple a real bitch if you don't get it right . Worth the effort if it floats your boat

www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
  • breakstuffbreakstuff Frets: 10272
    I'm seriously gassing for a So Cal but at some point,hopefully this year I'll probably go for the Adrian Smith SDX just because of the price.I haven't got a Floyd equipped guitar so this one looks like a good one to start with.Looks super sexy too.

Now which to go for,the maple or rosewood?
    Laugh, love, live, learn. 
  • There was a MIJ Floyd strat on eBay last week, not sure if @iseverynamegone got it, I know he was after one. I've got an '89 MIJ Floyd strat. It's my main gigging guitar, however I am using my les Paul more and more. They are really nice guitars well worth a punt on one.
  • iseverynamegoneiseverynamegone Frets: 1576
    edited February 2014
    I don't go for that due the FR2 - I did pm you to thank you for telling me.
  • For purely cosmetic reasons (colour) I could be persuaded to part with my mij strat headstock ST deluxe charvel . Dark brown, roller nut , 2 point pivot trem which floats and never goes out of tune, JB in bridge , professional set up.... Never seen another with a strat head for sale.. I need a candy apple strat .