Check out my shitty solo

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• JetfireJetfire Frets: 1696
    I have had another stab at it so I'll post that soon!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • welshboyowelshboyo Frets: 1815
    Is there a backing track for this somewhere so we can compare different takes?

I reckon this is a good idea for all of us to get feedback on technique and just to hear others take on a solo that could give you ideas etc.

• VaiaiVaiai Frets: 530
    welshboyo said:

I reckon this is a good idea for all of us to get feedback on technique and just to hear others take on a solo that could give you ideas etc.

That's basically what solo of the month competition is but it only gets 3-6 entries each month - would be great if more people did it so you can hear what others do
  • BarneyBarney Frets: 616
    Vaiai said:
    welshboyo said:

That's basically what solo of the month competition is but it only gets 3-6 entries each month - would be great if more people did it so you can hear what others do
    Iv never seen solo of the month where's that at..?
  • JetfireJetfire Frets: 1696
    I've made the backing track I use but I can mp3 it if anyone wants It?
  • welshboyowelshboyo Frets: 1815
    Barney said:
    Vaiai said:
    welshboyo said:

yeah, same here, I probably spend too much time in Classifieds LOL
  • VaiaiVaiai Frets: 530
    The one entered was 
    http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/113878/solo-of-the-month-30-voting-open-until-2nd-october#latest

Back from hols yesterday so missed this month but they are worth doing just to challenge yourself
  • BarneyBarney Frets: 616
    welshboyo said:
    Barney said:
    Vaiai said:
    welshboyo said:

yeah, same here, I probably spend too much time in Classifieds LOL
    Yeah me to...that and off topic..dont know why I'm coming on a guitar forum and going on off topic all the time...lol
  • Is the solo of the month always just audio?
    Video is more fun, with the added bonus of everyone being able to learn from each other
  • VeganicVeganic Frets: 673
    edited November 2017
    Is the solo of the month always just audio?
    Video is more fun, with the added bonus of everyone being able to learn from each other
    Just audio.  You can still learn from them as the guitar is usually up front centre in the mix and relatively easy to transcribe. I am sure you will get answers to any questions you have too.     It's sometimes hard to get many entries when it is just audio.  
      But there is nothing stopping you from submitting audio and also posting a video.
  • Cool. I'm not really playing much at the moment but I'm off work for most of December and will probably start again. 
  • @Jetfire I quite liked the opening section up until 0.18 where it starts to get a bit messy, but as previously stated there's some nice legato in there. Perhaps you could tie the legato together using arpeggios across the chord changes. 

I must admit hats off to the both of you for coming up with something viable over a largely uninspiring song, I tried it and ended up in diatonic/pentatonic noodle land.

• @Bucket - I think you used your little finger for one note! Get that pinky involved boyo. You both have serious shreddies, respect. Be cool to hear your take that solo with a clean, reverb-minimal solo Bucket, just to hear what you make of it. @Jetfire good stuff man, you're timing was more on point for the crazy runs than it was the slower bits though, so thats a nice easy fix. 
    Not that either of you need my advice, but I'd try and work on finding some hooks to put in those solos, the chords are so straight forward, they lend themselves to catchy melodies - maybe try to incorporate more of that, or perhaps a line from the chorus of whatever that song is.