Peavey 6505+

gubblegubble Frets: 1746
Hi 
I'm thinking about chopping in my Line 6 Head and a 2x12 cab for a peavey 6505+ 1x12 Combo

I'm getting fed up of lugging both in and out of the car for gigs plus the 2x12 is a bit too difficult to store where i live along with a head.

Now i know this amp does a great lead tone and having a play with it i was actually surprised how well it does clean and crunch.

Is there anything i should know about these amps reliability wise or anything else before i take the plunge?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Its exactly the same, in terms of the lead channel, to the 5153 head from EVH.  

So, lead and crunch are amazing, but you can't realistically use the clean tone.  Sadly, this is the case on the 120 watt version, too.  

BUT you can roll the volume back if you're not bothered on super fender type cleans, or you can forgo the crunch in favour of clean tone.  

These are, in my opinion, among the best sounding amps in production.  The combo is made in China IIRC, but the head is USA made.

• I would add one thing to this - the 6505 combo is monstrously heavy and hard to lift. Bend at the knees!!
  • jpfampsjpfamps Frets: 2734
    High gain valve combos are in my opinion not a good idea; you really are asking for trouble with microphonics.

• jpfamps;184474" said:
    High gain valve combos are in my opinion not a good idea; you really are asking for trouble with microphonics.
    I really worried about this before, but I've seen a few at gigs and I have not heard any issues, perhaps they had suffered and been sorted with rubber o rings?

Or maybe I've been lucky. It does seem like it should cause trouble...

Actually, the only time I've heard a microphonic valve was on a vox ac30 of some kind. So maybe I have just been lucky with all the gigs I've attended!
  • spacecadetspacecadet Frets: 671
    Worth looking at the new Valveking II. I have a mini head on loan at the moment and it's pretty special. You can get the high gain thing with no problem, the cleans are lovely and there are a shit load more features on it.
  • spacecadet;184636" said:
    Worth looking at the new Valveking II. I have a mini head on loan at the moment and it's pretty special. You can get the high gain thing with no problem, the cleans are lovely and there are a shit load more features on it.
    Ooo that's an amp I've been looking out for.

I quite liked the original, it was a little bit smooth and characterless on the drive (but sounded good nonetheless) but the cleans were nice and, being a peavey that's not a classic 30, is probably built fairly well.

I don't think I'll be making the leap to valves anytime soon though.