Weird picks

What's Hot
digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26581
I'm curious...does anybody else use odd/expensive picks?

I have to admit...I've got something of an addiction to Timber Tones stuff. My main picks are their ebony ones (which can last me up to a couple of weeks...expensive habit), but I've also got a few of their bone and mother of pearl ones which come out occasionally. Usually when I've run out of ebony ones...

If you do use anything odd, why? Feel? Tone? Just to show off your bank balance?
<space for hire>
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• steamabacussteamabacus Frets: 1265
    'Addiction' is the right word.  :)
    I've been using Timber Tones for a few years now - definitely worth it. They are easy to re-work with a file to restore the edge/point which extends their life somewhat.

I tried a few and also settled on the African ebony. They've just come up with a new, smaller shape (nearer Jazz III size) and I've picked up a few of those. There's a slight change of tone due to the reduced mass (I'm guessing) - not sure which ones I prefer yet?
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26581
    I've been using Timber Tones for a few years now - definitely worth it. They are easy to re-work with a file to restore the edge/point which extends their life somewhat.
    I really should start doing this. I've got about 100 of the things that I've destroyed.

I'm seriously curious about their Stone Tones, but I'd need some kind of grip on them - I suffer with sweaty-pick-hand-syndrome, so they're guaranteed to slip like mad at a gig. I've asked Rob if there's anything he can do...
    <space for hire>
    That's another thing I do with the ebony ones - drill a series of 'divots' into each surface for grip. I was going to email Timber Tones with the suggestion they could do this as an option but I haven't got round to it.
    It's easy to do, if a little time consuming.
    edited August 2013
    Excellent idea...pics? 

I took a hacksaw to my bone picks, and cut a crosshatch pattern into it...didn't help as much as I'd hoped. I suspect your idea would work much better.

I don't have so much of a problem with the wooden ones, because they seem to get grippier with added moisture.
    <space for hire>
    edited August 2013
    I agree they're better than plastic for grip. I used to score a cross-hatched pattern into my old picks (purple Dunlops - 500s?) for grip anyway. Getting out the drill on the ebony picks is quicker and more effective.

I'll try and get some pics (of picks) posted soon to show what I do.

(Edit) Here you go ...

• I call plectrum abuse, you monsters!

Drilling holes in the picks is something we have explored in the past, it didn't give too good results so we eventually dropped the idea. Maybe we'll reconsider.
    Now the grid/pattern idea is something we are actually experimenting on right now through the use of laser. It's still unreleased so we're not yelling about it everywhere, but that's s project.

Though if you guys struggle with grip, have you considered Mini Groove/Groove/Groovy/Funk tones, with the profiled shape?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    I didn't realise you were signed up here!    :)

The laser etched grid idea sounds good.

The profiled picks don't do it for me - I hold my picks a little unconventionally (more like a pen grip) and the issue is the pick 'rotating' in my grip. It's more of an issue in the cold (aging fingers?).

I don't gig much anymore, but the wooden picks are much better at coping with sweaty fingers than the old plastic ones were.
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11594
    tFB Trader
    I like the bone picks they do - but I'm always wanting to find the densest ones for best tone
    Failing that the new graph Tech Tusq picks are nice

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

• steamabacus> Well the thing with cold fingers (for me at least) is that the get super dry. And even though too much sweat is not good, a bit of sweat actually gets the picks the stick a bit more to the fingers.

Felineguitars> Have you tried stone/crystal?
    edited August 2013
    I call plectrum abuse, you monsters!

Drilling holes in the picks is something we have explored in the past, it didn't give too good results so we eventually dropped the idea. Maybe we'll reconsider.
    Now the grid/pattern idea is something we are actually experimenting on right now through the use of laser. It's still unreleased so we're not yelling about it everywhere, but that's s project.

Though if you guys struggle with grip, have you considered Mini Groove/Groove/Groovy/Funk tones, with the profiled shape?

The groove idea is great - I thought it was perfect solution for me, but I hold my pick further forwards than that (and my grip shifts as the pick wears down), so it actually makes it a bit more difficult for me.

That said...I like the laser-etched idea. If you need somebody to road-test them...? :D I'd be particularly interested in a grid-etched Stone Tone...
    <space for hire>
  • ChrisMusicChrisMusic Frets: 1133
    ... I hold my picks a little unconventionally (more like a pen grip) and the issue is the pick 'rotating' in my grip. It's more of an issue in the cold (aging fingers?).
    And I thought it was just me with the "grip and rotation" thing.  The more I am playing now, the less the rotation thing happens.

Try licking your fingers before grabbing the pick, it seems to help with rotation and dropping the damn things.

Doesn't help with the sweaty stuff though.