Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

12 stringers

What's Hot
Who's got one (or more)? 

I must admit I love them but have never owned one. 

Are they really just a pain (twice as much tuning and re-stringing) and are they as "practical" as 6-strings? Would you tire of a full album's worth? 

Just interested in your thoughts!

What are your fave 12 string songs? 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I've got one.

I loaned it out a long time ago and haven't asked for it back.

They sound lovely but they're terrible for resale (hence why I loaned mine rather than sell it).  They do feel a bit more difficult to play but you can get used to it if you use light enough strings.  If it's too heavy just detune and use a capo.
  • I think they're ok for a shot but I wouldn't get one unless I won the lottery :lol:
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11896
    and technically impossible to intonate (unless you have 12 saddles)
  • and technically impossible to intonate (unless you have 12 saddles)

True but in fairness the chorusing is part of the character of the sound people generally like about them

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • CirrusCirrus Frets: 8491
    I've got a cheapish Yamaha one, think it was about £300 new in 2001. I very rarely use it because it doesn't stay in tune that well - get it tuned up and play a song, it'll be bugging me by the end of the second chorus.

It'd still be useful for recording, except that it doesn't sound very good - it's got that cheap acoustic nasal midrange resonance and lumpy low end that means miking it up is a frustrating task.

All that said, I love 12 string sounds. I'd just say that if you're going to get one, make sure it's good enough that it won't be frustrating to play. At which point you're paying money, so you have to be really sure you'll use it!
  • Restringing a 12 string isn't as much of a PITA as one might think, restringing a Bigsby is worse and even a slot head acoustic. 

Tuning can be ok but it's dependant on string gauge if you're using open tunings.

IMO, the worst part of playing a 12 is the impact on your hands, especially the picking hand if you are a fingerpicker. 

• AliGorieAliGorie Frets: 308

and technically impossible to intonate (unless you have 12 saddles)
    eh, that would be me, having / playing a 12er that is. You probably saw this on the 'Music' section, posted a while ago.
    As for why a 12 string - well some pieces just beg for that 'more is defiantly more' sound - this piece on a six'er - less is defiantly less   :#, maybe something to do with them part of the tune thats mainly played on the back (bass) strings.
    As TC says in the quote - intonation can be an issue when playing intricate stuff up the neck as you can hear on this tune - but hey - over all whats a few cents of pitch when were having fun.

AliGorie said:
    hi thought I’d post something.
    As u’ll see I’m not actually ‘Ali Gorie’  - sounds something like (allegory) - I like it.
    I put these tunes up years ago as part of my rehabilitation my daughter made me ‘do stuff’ whilst recovering from a heart attack !.
    I’m fending off muscular weakening condition and failing, trying to continue playing though it’s hard to play for any length of time and fatigue is the main issue, not being able to 'drive the rhythm'.  Hopefully I’ll manage to play (to my satisfaction) and maybe the odd live spot - and record some more.
    hope ya like this -

oh, I've strung this guitar with the octave / norm strings reversed as most of the energy from the down stroke of the of the thumbpick would normally be going into the octave strings on the bottom end - which is where the melody lies - with normal stringing you'd hear those notes an octave higher - confusing the melody / accompaniment - if ya get what I mean.
    anything u need to know - just ask.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited October 2017
    heres a good link to the Ausi / N Z luthiers forum with measurements etc for intonation 12 string saddles - there used to be pictures - maybe u have to log in ?
    http://www.anzlf.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=354
    I'd re route the saddle slot and make two step saddles for each course - but I'm to lazy.
    btw that and the Official Luthiers Forum (in the states) are where to go for u'r real techie fix on all things acoustic and the voice of reason amidst all the s*it thats regurgitated on 'Acoustic Forums'.
    http://luthiersforum.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=10101&sid=636ed21ec502c0fbbb376678f2c61b0f ;

• I love 12 string sounds!

I've got a Stonebridge (Furch) 12-string that sounds lovely. Not everything you might want to play will sound good, but for strumming or arpeggiating chords and single line riffs it can be glorious. It's no hassle to tune, because it rarely goes out of tune. Changing strings isn't too tough, either, as it has a standard headstock with 6 tuners/side. Nice wide fretboard, too.

Unlike my Ric 330/12, which is a pain in the bum to restring because 6 of the tuners are standard and 6 are classical-style rollers within the headstock. Narrow fretboard, which can be a challenge. However, also sounds glorious when you pick the right things to play on it. 

On both, fingerpicking is difficult for me, so I don't bother - I use a plectrum for everything.

• proggyproggy Frets: 5835

I haven't got one but I do love them and plan to get one, maybe soon.

My favourite 12 string song is Wish You Were Here, which is also my all time favourite song anyway.

• @AliGorie brilliant video! Thanks for posting that!
    thanx Tommy, sorry for the big blurb above.
    Can I add one, the single most important one to me - it's that most 12ers that are made are for plectrum players - string spacing is generally to narrow @ the saddle. I'm used to Lowden and Bourgeois 6ers which are 'generous' and allow you to get in and under the strings to generate tonal / attack variations - which every tune should have - right :o
    On that guitar, an Alvarez Yairi I've 'splayed' the sting pairs a little.
    glad ya liked the tune

• richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24803
    I like the idea of one - I briefly owned a cheapish Yamaha in my teens. The trouble is, once I’d played Wish You Were Here, it didn’t see much use.

I’d quite like another - but (for me) it would be such a niche instrument, I couldn’t really justify owning one.

If money - and space - were no object, I’d get myself a ‘70s Guild.
  • LuttiSLuttiS Frets: 2244
    I got a 12 string a few years ago.. probably the best deal i ever got on a guitar.. was at a guitar show, saw a right wreck of a guitar, got it for £20 in the end. 
    Cleaned it up, polished fret board and restrung came up lovely. 

My £20 12 string ftw! Sounds great, and not so tough to tune once you get the your head around it. 

Never use it though. 
  • I have a Levinson 12 string that I got half price from Sheehans a couple of years ago. I love it, it intonates pretty well, but putting a capo on it is awful - it only frets the low strings, not the higher strings next to them.

I don't play it that often, but then I don't play any of them often enough, to be fair. :-S
    If you must have sex with a frog, wear a condom. If you want the frog to have fun, rib it.
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11896
    I was bidding on a Lowden 12 string just now, but it was collection only so I only bid to £1111, it went for £1131
    It must be hard to sell 12 strings if you can get a Lowden for that!
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72339
    I have a '71 Martin D12-35 slot-head, and yes it is a bit of a pain to restring… but not that bad if you do it in the right order. I keep it tuned down to D, like all older 12-strings were designed to be before light strings were available - it just sounds better like that. It's fine with a capo (Kyser) for playing in standard tuning.

This particular one is a pain to tune from the open strings because like a lot of 70s Martins it was built with the nut very slightly misplaced (yes really), so you have to do a sort of manual 'sweetened' tuning to get it to sound right. But when it does, it really does sound beautiful.

I've used it on quite a few recordings, but it is definitely something you can't use on everything - it's too overpowering a sound, and needs to be used sparingly. I have occasionally wondered if I should sell it, since it's worth a fair amount - for a 12-string anyway - and I don't play it very often. But then I do and decide never to sell it...

Favourite 12-string song - I would maybe say Wish You Were Here but proggy beat me to that, so I'll have Queen's "39".

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• I'll have - Ticket To Ride - The Beatles
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24803
    Free Fallin’ always makes me wish I had a twelve string around....
    edited October 2017
    I have a Levinson 12 string that I got half price from Sheehans a couple of years ago. I love it, it intonates pretty well, but putting a capo on it is awful - it only frets the low strings, not the higher strings next to them.

I don't play it that often, but then I don't play any of them often enough, to be fair. :-S

I was bidding on a Lowden 12 string just now, but it was collection only so I only bid to £1111, it went for £1131
    It must be hard to sell 12 strings if you can get a Lowden for that!
    TOD, depending on what capo U have - I re- rubbered a Shubb which was almost flat for a guitar that had a higher radius f/b. Put on a thicker and more pliable silicone  tube (laboratory equipment) if ya get what I mean - play with it.
    Those Levinson's seem good - new to me.
    yeah TC Lowdens have a well thought out string plane - to expensive for me - though that one sounded a bargain - bad luck.