I am about to buy a recording bass

What's Hot
meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10339
Hello all, 

I am about to buy one of the Sterling Music man Sub ray 5 basses.
I would love a 5 string and I think this is the one for me.

I have played a few basses and never really thought much to them, I have no preference for a bass.
That was until I played a music man sting ray (I think it was a sting ray). I thought that was amazing, felt great, sounded great.

So anyway before I part with £300 would any of you guys recommend something else?

Thanks
The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• IanSavageIanSavage Frets: 1319
    Above the Sterling I would save that money and see if you can score a secondhand SUB bass with it (the US-made textured-finish version, not the Korean / Chinese-made ones) - they're essentially a Stingray for a third of the price. 

Although if you wanted to spend a little less, I'm selling a Vintage V96 5-string for £120 which is just as good as a new Sterling...;)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • IanSavage said:
    Above the Sterling I would save that money and see if you can score a secondhand SUB bass with it (the US-made textured-finish version, not the Korean / Chinese-made ones) - they're essentially a Stingray for a third of the price. 

Although if you wanted to spend a little less, I'm selling a Vintage V96 5-string for £120 which is just as good as a new Sterling...;)
    Wisdom here, those USA made ones are bargains used and have the most wonderful neck profile.  Solid tuners, a solid bridge, USA pickups...

I'd keep an eye out for a SUB 5 string from the USA.  They have a textured finish.  I'll see if I can find one.
  • bazxkrbazxkr Frets: 616
    Yeh those textured SUB 6 string guitars have a huge following & sure the Bass follows suit.
    Alot of quality for little money & they are out there if you look

Cheers
    Baz
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24498
    The US SUB models are brilliant.

If you are willing to risk USA ebay you can pick them up for peanuts. They were much cheaper over there when they were new.

A mate just got an immaculate USA one for about £350, including all the duty and shipping from 'Murika.
  • dogloaddogload Frets: 1495
    edited March 2014
    I'll probably get abused for this, but I have an 80's Hohner Arbor (like the one on the right, but fretted)
    I have a Fender Jazz and a Dusenberg Star Bass too, but i find I use the Hohner more than anything- great Precision growl and nasal Jazz Bass tones, plus the tone control is really effective. And I hesitate to say this, but it can also do a fairly passable Rickenbacker impression. It has a fantastic recorded sound that takes effects well. I use Amplitube's Ampeg SVT and Softtube Bass Amp Room to record.
    You could probably pick one of these up dead cheap! But on the other hand, it's not exactly a cool name to drop!
  • meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10339
    I have taken the plunge now.

I have taken Mr Savage up on his Vintage.

I just need something that is basic, not too fused about the effects etc as I can do that with Cubase or whatever over the top.

Plus I will slap that funky mother as I am a bit of a bass tart :-D

I will get a musicman one day, a proper one but it will have to wait. All GAS is on hold indefinitely.
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.