Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

How much of a big deal are the lack of fret markers?

What's Hot
SparkySparky Frets: 90
I'm not talking about the ones you can find on the edge of the fretboard, but more the dots/birds/trapezoids/(insert shape here) on the front. My next guitar is likely to only have a marker on the 12th after exclusively having my hand held with various shapes to guide me.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• sawyersawyer Frets: 732
    I thought it would be a problem but you really only take notice of dots down side when you play.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • PhilKingPhilKing Frets: 1481
    I have a couple of guitars with no fingerboard inlays, only side marker dots and they don't bother me at all.  They are just as easy to play as any others.
  • Jimbro66Jimbro66 Frets: 2430
    My acoustic only has side marker dots which are all that's needed most the time. Certain stage lighting conditions can make the small dots hard to see, so then you have no fret guides. Blind guitarists deal with that all the time. It helps to practice playing while not watching the fretting fingers.

• grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3335
    Do you have a need to sing as well as play? For me side dots are fine if I’m pnly playing but when I need to be the singer also I have to have fret markers on the board as it’s much easier to quickly glance at something so large than a tiny side dot. 
    In fact when I first started I also needed to put electrical tape acros the back of the neck as markers too. 
  • guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7962
    edited October 2017
    Non issue for me as long as they’re on the sides. 
  • SparkySparky Frets: 90
    grungebob said:
    Do you have a need to sing as well as play? For me side dots are fine if I’m pnly playing but when I need to be the singer also I have to have fret markers on the board as it’s much easier to quickly glance at something so large than a tiny side dot. 
    In fact when I first started I also needed to put electrical tape acros the back of the neck as markers too. 
    No singing required, to which my wife and kids are extremely thankful.
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14472
    Unmarked fingerboards are perfectly normal on bass.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • underdogunderdog Frets: 8334
    sawyer said:
    I thought it would be a problem but you really only take notice of dots down side when you play.

Exactly this, I bought a guitar once with only side dots, was very worried I'd struggle but then discovered it's only the side dots I looked at anyway.
  • It does irk me slightly, I must admit. I just like the look of a guitar with them.
  • PlectrumPlectrum Frets: 494
    I can't see the fretboard when I'm singing so to me they're totally superfluous.
    One day I'm going to make a guitar out of butter to experience just how well it actually plays.
  • LuttiSLuttiS Frets: 2244
    It's only annoying if you're playing with someone who has no fret markers and they're trying to teach you something :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Nothing a bit of tippex can’t fix!
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8724
    Edge markers are useful, especially at the end of a long gig. Fretboard markers are useful if you're teaching. Whenever I used a guitar without them it confused my bass player, but eventually he stopped trying to work out what I was playing and accepted that I knew what I was doing.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6393
    PhilKing said:
    I have a couple of guitars with no fingerboard inlays, only side marker dots and they don't bother me at all.  They are just as easy to play as any others.
    This.  I think it looks pretty cool too.
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • Higher end classical guitars have no fretmarkers at all.  

“Theory is something that is written down after the music has been made so we can explain it to others”– Levi Clay

• My fender socal strat has no fret markers only small black side markers.
    The neck is mostly painted red and being colour blind i find it really difficult to pick out the side markers - so although i love the guitar its actually harder for me to play without fret markers.
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27620
    I've just removed all the frets on a neck so that I could put fretmarkers in (and then refret it).

Never really considered going marker-less.

Maybe I should have tried it and saved myself some work.
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • rawk100rawk100 Frets: 1757
    I had a gretsch once with small markers and didn't really like it, I seem to feel more comfortable with at least dots on the board. Don't know why. ... ( probably coz I'm a crap player)!
  • clarkefanclarkefan Frets: 808
    I'd be screwed without them.

I think.  I've never played a guitar without them.  But I do know I don't look at the dots, they might as well not be there.
  • I have an acoustic with no dot on the 9th, it's on the 10th instead - gets me every time I look down at it.
    So I don't look down anymore