Parker nitefly - where can I buy frets?

What's Hot
ferencferenc Frets: 4
For all Parker owners and fans, the story is a classic:

frets fell off. Now, it seems impossible to find new frets so I am asking here if someone knows a place where they can sell them to me (2 frets or fretwire, does not matter). 

Can someone help me please, I am looking to restore to life an old USA Parker Nitefly.

Blaž
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• sweepysweepy Frets: 4184
    May I suggest a full refret as they are stainless steel frets and a bit of a bugger to work with, off to Feline if I was you. I do all my own refrets but new stainless steel frets on a Parker Fly, no thanks
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 7786

The last time I replaced some I got them direct from the UK distributor, did you try them ?

You might also try Parker direct.

"I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister
  • richhrichh Frets: 450
    If Feline do these, great, but they are different to standard frets, not only in that they are stainless steel, but they are also effectively stuck onto the fingerboard with some kind of adhesive.  One guy who definitely can do this for you is Chris at CA Guitarworks.  I think in Herts somewhere - if you can't google his info, I do have it somewhere, as he worked on various Parker guitars for me.

Key thing with these guitars, is don't get the fingerboard wet - obviously a bit late now!
  • Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 7786
    richh said:
    If Feline do these, great, but they are different to standard frets, not only in that they are stainless steel, but they are also effectively stuck onto the fingerboard with some kind of adhesive

Superglue.
    "I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister
  • PVO_DavePVO_Dave Frets: 2375
    richh said:
    If Feline do these, great, but they are different to standard frets, not only in that they are stainless steel, but they are also effectively stuck onto the fingerboard with some kind of adhesive.  One guy who definitely can do this for you is Chris at CA Guitarworks.  I think in Herts somewhere - if you can't google his info, I do have it somewhere, as he worked on various Parker guitars for me.

Key thing with these guitars, is don't get the fingerboard wet - obviously a bit late now!
    Sadly Chris isn’t doing guitar work anymore, unless he’s restarted recently again!
  • sawyersawyer Frets: 732
    Paul Richardson Guitars in County Durham does stainless steel refrets. One of the top luthiers in the country
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11594
    tFB Trader
    We don't do the USA Fly frets - they are different as they have no tang and are stuck to the fingerboard

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

• I am reviving this, just to update things. 

I sources some original fretwire, it is the same for Flys and Niteflys. From the USA. There is some stock left.

I tried myself, but luckily realized soon, I will mess it up. So I took it to a local luthier (I'm in the EU, if you remember where that is). He pulled them all off (some were still sticking on) and reglued them and recreated the missing few from the new fretwire. 

Superglue did not work, he had to use epoxy based glue (2component glue).

The guitar is a dream to play, the carbon neck is sth out-of-this-world. I prefer it over my others, my bandmates do not (I like way heavier music, they are soft-rock). The DiMarzios are... listen to early Iron Maide - that kind of stuff. Unlike SDs, very articulate. Neck is thick, but this is how my wife likes it, hehe.

The tremolo unit is amazing, the first tremolo which never goes out of tune.

Piezo is useless, to be honest, someone might like it, but you need an acoustic amp, on tube amp, useless.

The refret cost me 180 euros (I provided the fretwire). The luthier gave me lifetime guarantee with it.

f
    0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • richhrichh Frets: 450
    Sounds good!  Can I ask, who the luthier was?  Might be useful to other Parker owners, as most people won't have the experience to do these guitars.
  • Crimson guitars do Parker fly refrets 
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • ferencferenc Frets: 4
    I am in the EU, Slovenia, luthier -  http://www.guitarvoodoolab.si/

We all speak English, so just send him an email.

He said this was his second Parker, just checked the receipt, 180 eur. So if someone is interested (sure it involves shipping), this is the guy. I also had my Strat plus refretted with ss frets, perfect job, cost me 150 eur.

f

• PVO_Dave said:
    richh said:

Sadly Chris isn’t doing guitar work anymore, unless he’s restarted recently again!
    Hi, sorry to bring up an old thread.

Saw my name mentioned so thought i would sign up. Im now working for PRS Guitars Europe in the UK.

I still have some stock of Parker parts including fret wire etc from when i ran my repair centre for Parker and can still do repairs on the Parkers if required and other brands. Get touch if you need anything - info@caguitarworks.co.uk

Thanks
    0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom