Reliable amp casing repair anyone?

What's Hot
CalelCalel Frets: 31
edited October 2017 in Amps
Hey guys,

Was lucky enough to secure a JK reverb amp, the combo, in parota wood, limited edition, at a reasonable price, I was a happy man.

Got it delivered, not so happy anymore. Huge crack on the side of the amp, from the the top right front corner to the bottom, wood broken inside out.

Really don’t understand how it could have happened. A friend checked it before it got boxed, it was all good. The thing was properly packed, like padded cover, styrofoam, bubble wrap, the whole shabam etc. Honestly when I opened the package, the amp was secured, could almost not move, no sign of any damages on the box, I can’t figure out. Temperature change? Pressure? 

The wood seems solid and packed as it was, the box could have fallen, I don’t see how the amp could have been damaged like that. Especially as it is not bashed in but actually coming out.

To cut a long story short, does anybody know a good amp repair guy who could essentially do a bit of wood work to repair the amp casing / chassis? In London? I have seen the thread on amp tech but in this case it is more around restoring the wood chassis than the electronics.

A bit of a bummer. Contacted Suhr and they said they cannot do anything. I believe the amp deserves a better fate than that, so keen on getting it fixed.

Thanks!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72322
    Probably dropped from a great height flat onto one side of the box, so the box wouldn't appear damaged. Internal inertia of the chassis and speaker does the rest.

It's almost impossible to pack an amp well enough to withstand that sort of thing - and hardwood is more fragile than ply unfortunately.

I hate couriering amps, I see enough of this sort of thing...

You probably need a furniture repair expert rather than an amp repairer.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • CalelCalel Frets: 31
    I think you are right on both counts. If anybody has faced similar situation and knows an “Artisan” who could do the wood work, any reco would be much appreciated. I am “shattered” as you can imagine...
  • ecc83ecc83 Frets: 1631
    edited October 2017

I don't know which side of London you are Calel but Earls Barton is not too bad a slap if you are north?

Give Phoenix Sound a bell. 01604 466499 . The guy fixes most things I think (does re-cones) and even if he cannot help/is too far, he might know a man!

Dave.

• ecc83ecc83 Frets: 1631

BTW I recently had a Freeview HDD recorder delivered (refurbed unit) and it was dead, no lights. Had the top off and one of the 'U' cores in the SMPSU transformer had popped put. HAD to be the result of a severe acceleration in the plane of the traff! Popped it back in but still no show. Fuse was intact but I suspect a power MOSFET fekked. Sent off for a replacement.

***t'Appen!

Dave.

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72322
    Actually - try @FelineGuitars, they're in London. Jonathan is a luthier rather than an amp repairer, but this is almost more like a broken guitar than a broken amp in terms of the work required. If it needs any sort of finish re-doing over the crack once repaired that might be more his sort of thing than a typical amp tech too.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• CalelCalel Frets: 31
    Thanks all. Much appreciated.