You don't see these too often!

What's Hot
DJH83004DJH83004 Frets: 196
This is a first for me, and may be of interest to you bass players out there (IC), a mid '60s Ampeg Portaflex B-15 (2 x 6L6GC, 3 x 6SL7). Basically the amp resides inside the cab for transport and you open it up and pop it on top - rather nifty! As you can see it need some TLC, but nothing we can't sort. Its also had a UK voltage mains transformer fitted at some point (looks like a Drake) - enjoy :) 

0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72323
    Nice, I love that blue checkerboard tolex.

It's a shame that replacement transformer is so ugly. A friend of mine has a similar one with what I think is the PT from a Linear Conchord on it, so at least it's a similar sort of dark Hammerite colour and doesn't look quite as bad.

The light-up perspex Ampeg badge is just *so* cool...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6059
    My dream rig is the B15 - The Motown sound. There's a current version of the flip top design, the PF20 and PF50. The 50 uses 6L6's, while the 20 uses 6V6's. Is there any difference in sound between the L and V or is it just a question of volume?
  • jpfampsjpfamps Frets: 2734

I work for a couple of customers who often import Ampegs from the US, so amp lucky enough to see a lot of Ampegs.

Very under rated amps; the reverb is fantastic on them.

I work for a couple of customers who often import Ampegs from the US, so amp lucky enough to see a lot of Ampegs.

The B15 is, in my opinion, the best looking amp ever made.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72323
    JezWynd said:
    My dream rig is the B15 - The Motown sound. There's a current version of the flip top design, the PF20 and PF50. The 50 uses 6L6's, while the 20 uses 6V6's. Is there any difference in sound between the L and V or is it just a question of volume?
    The 6L6 is deeper and clearer than the 6V6, all other things being equal. The PF20 has smaller transformers than the PF50 as well, which will increase the difference.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6059
    ICBM said:
    JezWynd said:
    The 6L6 is deeper and clearer than the 6V6, all other things being equal. The PF20 has smaller transformers than the PF50 as well, which will increase the difference.
    Thanks for the info. I was quite set on the PF20 originally but the additional features of he 50 - mid shift, ultra low etc - as well as the additional headroom have steered me in its direction. I still wonder if I'd be better off with an original B15 over the Chinese made modern version. Not having any electrical know how I'm nervous of taking on a 50 year old amp...
  • DJH83004DJH83004 Frets: 196
    ICBM said:
    Nice, I love that blue checkerboard tolex.

It's a shame that replacement transformer is so ugly. A friend of mine has a similar one with what I think is the PT from a Linear Conchord on it, so at least it's a similar sort of dark Hammerite colour and doesn't look quite as bad.

The light-up perspex Ampeg badge is just *so* cool...
    Totally agree IC, will see if I can do something to tidy the appearance up. I agree about the back-lit Ampeg sign, but clearly not at the point where I can put mains anywhere near it just yet. The owner is a young bass player who I think inherited it and will be a keeper, so looking forward to getting it properly sorted for him.  
  • PhilKingPhilKing Frets: 1480
    I have one and they are the best recording bass amp around.  They are not to shabby on guitar either.  I used to have one years ago in England, with a 62 Precision bass.  It was a magic sound, all the old soul stuff sounded tremendous through it.
    Even painted the transformer (especially for IC  ;) )

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    I want one of these so badly that I can actually feel the hurt...

Yours is a beaut!

Yours is a beaut!
    Not mine to be honest, a customers, he runs a studio so suspect it will be permanently set up there for that soul / Motown groove  :)
    It does sound really good and surprisingly quiet for an amp of this age.  
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    DJH83004 said:

Yours is a beaut!
    Not mine to be honest, a customers, he runs a studio so suspect it will be permanently set up there for that soul / Motown groove  :)
    It does sound really good and surprisingly quiet for an amp of this age.  
    To be honest I'm not sure how much I'd use one - home and recording probably, but too quiet to use live. Still, I really want one ;)