Daft FX loop level question

What's Hot
BidleyBidley Frets: 2928
Just a quick one (I hope); what is the accepted wisdom for FX loop level settings? Mine has a switch for 0db, +4 and -10. I've had it on 0db forever but I'm wondering if it should be on -10, as I'm using pedals in it. I remember reading somewhere one setting or another is better suited for racks but I can't find an article for the life of me!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72339
    Use the highest level which doesn't make whatever you have in the loop distort, since that will give the best signal-to-noise ratio. If you're not getting distortion on 0dB there's no reason to use -10. +4dB is the one that's suitable for rack units and is above the level most pedals will take though.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26581
    I've found the best results using +4dB (which, funnily enough, is all my Jet City amps can do) with TC TonePrint pedals. Actually, that's kind of backwards...I use TonePrint pedals because they're the only ones I can find which can reliably handle my amps' loops :D
    <space for hire>
  • BidleyBidley Frets: 2928
    Nice one, cheers for that! One more thing, I assume 0db is line-level?
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26581
    No - +4dB is line level, -10dB is instrument level. 0dB, rather predictably, is somewhere in between :D
    <space for hire>
  • BidleyBidley Frets: 2928
    Top info, cheers dude! :)