N(parts)GD: SC Relic tele

What's Hot
TeyeplayerTeyeplayer Frets: 3281
edited September 2018 in Guitar
Those who don’t like a relic, feel free to look away now...

Finally got my new baby back from the guitar tech on Thursday (real one due to drop any day now, so this has given me a chance to play before the big arrival). I’d had the tele assembled and awaiting a nut and fretdress (taunting me in other words) for the best part of two weeks. I got a chance to test it in rehearsal on Thursday and road test it live on Friday night. Over the din of a cheap pub pa, whilst being cramped next to the drummer, what little I could hear from my amp sounded good, how it felt however was even better - @lonestar ;;;;(Scott) of SC Relics has come up trumps with this. The old thing of a relic feeling like a played in old friend, this nails it! 

The body is a Guitarbuild 2 piece Korina body that I felt needed a bit of 52 tele about it, all parts modern C neck -(9.5/10?)radius, Klusons, bone nut. Gotta say this is beautifully resonant. I’ve popped in my favourite tele pickups -a set of cirrostratus from the marvellous @Alegree, these are just so articulate and some of the best value pickups on the market. There has also been a bit of help from the fretboard: a grover bigsby bridge (cut down at the back and sides so less to catch my hands on) that used to belong to @impmann ;;; and a Bakelite guard that I got for a steal from @john_r. The remaining hardware, cts pots etc all from @gavin_axecaster ;;;. So in many ways this is kind of like a fretboard build. 

I wanted something that resembled a 52 but clearly wasn’t, hence using Scott’s logo on the headstock as he’d done the hard work on this. I’m also aware that I’m a clumbsy git prone to Neil Young wig-outs and Johnny Greenwood-esque guitar abuse, so for me although I understand why the relic thing isn’t for everyone, it saves me worrying that a pristine guitar has suddenly received a ding or two.

However, like many here I’m not into the excessive relic look and belt sander mayhem. Scott patiently found my happy medium with this (he’s a great guy that I highly recommend) and has done a great bit of work, including working to my own little foibles such as my liking the back of the neck part worn but not raw. 

Anyway, enough of my rambling, thanks to all involved this is a cracking instrument and I couldn’t have done it without you. The eagle eyed will notice that the neck pickup needs moving a mm to the treble side, that’s a job for this week. 

Please excuse my crappy iPhone pics, they seriously don’t do it justice, I know Scott has a load from the finishing process that he might kindly attach.  

https://www.flickr.com/gp/157224850@N02/k6z1q2

0reaction image LOL 5reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• BGGBGG Frets: 690
    Love it, looks great.

#thebatesmotelband
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • john_rjohn_r Frets: 131
    love it, glad to see the pickguard found a good home!
  • dazzajldazzajl Frets: 5814
    That looks lovely. 

I think perhaps there needs to be different words now for a guitar aged like that and some of the really extreme relics being produced. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • gavin_axecastergavin_axecaster Frets: 527
    tFB Trader
    Tasty.
  • TeyeplayerTeyeplayer Frets: 3281
    dazzajl said:
    That looks lovely. 

I think perhaps there needs to be different words now for a guitar aged like that and some of the really extreme relics being produced. 
    I agree; road worn kind of did it -‘played in’ might be better?
  • StrangefanStrangefan Frets: 5844
    Sc relics are the best! @lonestar is a true artist! 
  • ellwoodellwood Frets: 1113
    That's lovely mate! Can't wait for you to bring it to the cave for a run out!

Congrats!
  • Very nice - tastefully done relic-ing which works a treat on that guitar.
    Trading feedback | FS: Nothing just now
    JM build | Pedalboard plans
    ellwood said:
    That's lovely mate! Can't wait for you to bring it to the cave for a run out!

Congrats!
    Looking forward to trying it against your Nash! :)
  • GoldenEraGuitarsGoldenEraGuitars Frets: 8825
    tFB Trader
    Thank you for everything @Teyeplayer . I always love seeing my work built up and I've been eager to see how this turned out :)

I shall attach some pics now for everyone.
  • Very nice, subtle wear.looks ace well done :) 

Very nice, subtle wear.looks ace well done :) 

I agree and to be honest the pics don’t do it justice. You have to hold this guitar to fully appreciate the checking in the nitro and just how realistic the placement of the bumps and dings are. Even the neck wear, I’ve a mate with a 50s esquire, his is more like this one than an over worn fender custom shop job. It’s strange I can place this guitar next to my heavily played psychedelic battle scared tele and my Les Paul special and the wear matches up. @lonestar is an artist, that’s all there is to it.
    tFB Trader
    Very nice, subtle wear.looks ace well done :) 

I agree and to be honest the pics don’t do it justice. You have to hold this guitar to fully appreciate the checking in the nitro and just how realistic the placement of the bumps and dings are. Even the neck wear, I’ve a mate with a 50s esquire, his is more like this one than an over worn fender custom shop job. It’s strange I can place this guitar next to my heavily played psychedelic battle scared tele and my Les Paul special and the wear matches up. @lonestar is an artist, that’s all there is to it.
    There is still a market for heavy relic. I get asked for it all the time.

But I much prefer this sort of vibe. I'm going to be doing many more dirty blondes in the near future. 

I hope my wife doesn't read this...
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited October 2017
    lonestar said:
    Very nice, subtle wear.looks ace well done  

But I much prefer this sort of vibe. I'm going to be doing many more dirty blondes in the near future. 

Lol, dude if you only knew... I left a very dirty blonde (that is the closest i’ve ever got to a kiss and tell) to get with my wife who’s a brunette -true story.

Double bound body in lake placid blue next...just gotta find a way to explain that one this end.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    lonestar said:

Lol, dude if you only knew... I left a very dirty blonde (that is the closest of ever got to a kiss and tell) to get with my wife who’s a brunette -true story.

Double bound body in lake placid blue next...just gotta find a way to explain that one this end.
    I'm working on a double bound for myself just now. Incidentally the body was originally for a customer who wanted LPB. 

Out of respect for the customer who I bought the body back off I'm not doing LPB but it's a STUNNING colour. 
    lonestar said:
    lonestar said:

Lol, dude if you only knew... I left a very dirty blonde (that is the closest of ever got to a kiss and tell) to get with my wife who’s a brunette -true story.

I'm working on a double bound for myself just now. Incidentally the body was originally for a customer who wanted LPB. 

Out of respect for the customer who I bought the body back off I'm not doing LPB but it's a STUNNING colour. 
    I look forward to the pics but not the temptation! :)
    tFB Trader
    @Teyeplayer it's primed and ready for the colour coat. I'll probably end up selling it but we shall see :)