Options for (decent sounds) direct to P.A

What's Hot
Pete24vPete24v Frets: 235
So i've got a couple of gigs coming up as part of a duo, and need to travel light.. straight to whatever p.a is provided.

The first job is in a few weeks on a ship, so i've dusted off my old Boss GT-5 and started programming some sounds. It sounds a little bit meh!!

Normally i'm all about pedals into a clean amp, so don't know much about mutli fx etc.

So what's good, what should i go and check out?

Thanks all!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Depends on how much you want to spend......   Boss GT-1 maybe?
  • simonksimonk Frets: 1467
    What’s the budget?
  • Pete24vPete24v Frets: 235
    Not sure on budget, it's not yet clear how many more gigs will come in like this..

Lets say £500 though.

Am planning on hitting the shops to try a few (what ever gets suggested) out.

Ta
  • The Atomic Amplifire AA3 in the classifieds might be worth checking out. @CHrisP86
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2750
    I’d be tempted to try the atomic amplifire just advertiser on here.  Imo the basic sounds direct are awesome, just missing some of the fancier features of the ax8 or helix.    

Alternatively maybe the simpler firebox would work combined with some of the pedals you already use. 
  • A decent shout might be the recently launched Zooms, like the G5. Very nice sounds and very good value. 
  • CHrisP86CHrisP86 Frets: 360
    I’ve been impressed by the Amplifire and had some great sounds from it.  Would obviously work great direct into a pa.

I just realised that it (or any of the modellers available) filled a need I thought I had but actually wasn’t really solving my problem of getting me playing more at home in the evenings. 
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    edited October 2017
    Hi Pete.  How many sounds do you need at your feet for instan access? And do need fx too?  Also how amazing do you need it to be?  I have a zoom G3n I bought as a Helix backup you are welcome to borrow.  
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72500
    Run the GT-5 through a Hughes & Kettner Red Box.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

That's for all the suggestions guys!

I'm only going to a few sounds.. Clean (add chorus & delay), crunch & lead (add delay to lead)

I have a PT mini board with tuner, two overdrives, chorus and delay.. I could plug that into something. 

Thanks @John_A, let me Google the Zoom.

• monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17650
    tFB Trader
    I've got a Tech21 Blonde which would be ideal for your needs.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    I'll have a quick look on YouTube 
  • vizviz Frets: 10708
    Have a look at what Mr Kone's been evangelising about - take a small amp head and run a peavey edi (or similar) from the SPEAKER OUT (using speaker cable, not guitar cable), then out from the EDI via a mic cable to the desk. Safer to run it into a cab in parallel to make sure there's always a load, but that can be small - a 1x12 for example. 
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17650
    tFB Trader
    Pete24v said:
    I'll have a quick look on YouTube 

Cool, I think it would suit you because it's a simple analogue pedal that doesn't require programming or a weird power supply. You can also use it as an OD pedal with the speaker sim off.
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30301
    I've used an AMT F-1 preamp for this purpose. Instant Fender Twin sound from the PA.
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7810
    Run the gt5 into a cab emulator. Mooer have loads, digitech and neunaber also.
  • Atomic AmpliFirebox looks handy and it's only £279 - http://atomicamps.com/amplifirebox/
  • Your mini board into an AMP1 and using the simulated out into the PA would do the job. 
  • I've a Gt-1 for sale..... Let me know if you're interested.  
  • siraxemansiraxeman Frets: 1935

Zoom G3.

that said not sure anything will satisfy you if you're a pedals into amp guy. The GT-5 direct to PA sounds good IMO - even now if you tweak it right. I have a Roland Demo CD from the 90's whenever the GT-5 and VG-8 where current and some of the sounds on there are really good. That said, I remember being impressed when I lent someone who had joined a band I was in way back - turn up with just his Mex strat...borrowed my Bad Monkey pedal and via the speaker emulated output it sounded quite good in the band mix...I never forgot that even though its like 10yrs ago now!