Audacity/Reaper

What's Hot
Im thinking of having a go at using one of these, ive never used a lap to for recording or phrase training etc, so i was wondering what else do i need to get up and running. (leads etc)
I have a Guitar and a lap top and thats it! . Thanks in advance 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• You need an interface and either a mic or software to give you a sound.  

So you plug a mic into the interface and record with that, or you can use software such as POD Farm to plug your guitar straight into the interface and use that.  
  • im a technology idiot but i have a macbook, a focus rite scarlet 2i2, a few mice and i use reaper. I've used a few bits of recording software and for me reaper is comprehensive enough to do what i want but easy enough to use so as now to be too hard for an idiot like me to use.
    How very rock and roll
  • JAYJOJAYJO Frets: 1527
    Pod farm  how do i go about that? What lead would i need to plug into and interface? Thanks.
    edited February 2014
    im a technology idiot but i have a macbook, a focus rite scarlet 2i2, a few mice and i use reaper. I've used a few bits of recording software and for me reaper is comprehensive enough to do what i want but easy enough to use so as now to be too hard for an idiot like me to use.
    I was thinking about reaper and i am also a techno idiot. I am starting absolutely from scratch and i would like to keep as simple as poss.
  • BidleyBidley Frets: 2928

You really need a USB audio interface. Line 6 do a few different models, which come with Pod Farm if you buy brand new. A used M-Audio Fast Track is a fairly cheap and accessible option.

Failing that, some Multi-fx pedals double up as USB interfaces. I use my Zoom G3 as a guitar interface, and it sounds the shit. I think the older Zoom multi-fx have the same capability too.

Bidley said:

You really need a USB audio interface. Line 6 do a few different models, which come with Pod Farm if you buy brand new. A used M-Audio Fast Track is a fairly cheap and accessible option.

Failing that, some Multi-fx pedals double up as USB interfaces. I use my Zoom G3 as a guitar interface, and it sounds the shit. I think the older Zoom multi-fx have the same capability too.

Ive got a line 6 jm4 looper, and a boss me 50 and thats it im afraid. A usb audio interface with free pod farm maybe! I will have a google line 6 and see cheers.
  • JAYJO said:
    im a technology idiot but i have a macbook, a focus rite scarlet 2i2, a few mice and i use reaper. I've used a few bits of recording software and for me reaper is comprehensive enough to do what i want but easy enough to use so as now to be too hard for an idiot like me to use.
    I was thinking about reaper and i am also a techno idiot. I am starting absolutely from scratch and i would like to keep as simple as poss.
    honestly i am a complete idiot when it comes to computer based recording (or intact anything computer based) but i have managed to get some recordings done now. the scarlett came with ableton live which was absolute shite, complete waste of time. 
    reaper is on a 60 day trial but i think its something like 40 quid at the end of it. well worth it. 
    How very rock and roll
    JAYJO said:
    honestly i am a complete idiot when it comes to computer based recording (or intact anything computer based) but i have managed to get some recordings done now. the scarlett came with ableton live which was absolute shite, complete waste of time. 
    reaper is on a 60 day trial but i think its something like 40 quid at the end of it. well worth it. 
    So do i just download it for the trial ? How do i connect my guitar usb lead? do i need speakers etc. see i told you thick as fck. £40 seems really reasonable so im interested.

You need an interface. What this is is a box that connects to your PC via USB. It will have various inputs depending on what you buy, most have at least one 1/4 jack input and an XLR input, which you plug your guitar or mic into. You can usually hook speakers/headphones to this, or just use the speakers on your pc.

There are some little mixers that have USB capability too. You can get POD Farm for free, but you get limited effects/models.

JAYJO said:
    Bidley said:

Ive got a line 6 jm4 looper, and a boss me 50 and thats it im afraid. A usb audio interface with free pod farm maybe! I will have a google line 6 and see cheer

Bidley said:

Bidley said:
    Thats £80 cheaper than the one i looked at a few mins ago! im tempted now
  • ecc83ecc83 Frets: 1633
    edited February 2014
    The absolutely cheapest way to do this if you have a "proper" pedal (i.e. NOT "true" bypass!) is the Behringer UCA202 .

The pedal is needed to buffer the input as the 202 is too low for a good tone. 
    But yes, a proper AI is the best bet. I would suggest the Steinberg UR22 over the 2i2 and again, if cash strapped, a second hand M-A Fast track pro is ideal.

Reaper is good of course but a very useful FREE DAW is Samplitude Silver Cloud. Limited to 8 tracks but that is plenty for the noob.

Dave.
  • MistergMisterg Frets: 333
    If *really* cash strapped, the 'Realtone Cable' from the Rocksmith game works fine as an interface - about £25.
    Thanks everyone though still confused. I may get funds together for the one Bidley linked me too as it seems to be the only one i understand.
  • Dunno if this'll help, but I've just discovered an M-Audio Fast Track in my box of bits. You can have it for £35 posted...
    <space for hire>
    Dunno if this'll help, but I've just discovered an M-Audio Fast Track in my box of bits. You can have it for £35 posted...
    OK. Thanks! pmd.
  • benmurray85benmurray85 Frets: 1396
    edited March 2014
    Put basically, in a way I'd understand so forgive me if I'm teaching you to suck eggs! You need a way of getting your guitar into your laptop then a method of listening back. So as mentioned there's loads of cheap ways if you just wanna record guitar straight to the DAW (reaper?) if you wanna record using mics then you'd generally want something with preamps to warm the sound up?? (I think) which is where you'd look into a better USB interface I think? Listening back-wise you could invest in some monitors off eBay or something or just grab some headphones. Generally your laptop speakers will be shite for this use. This is all VERY general and is completely the limit of my knowledge. Just get stuck in and learn as you go!
    How very rock and roll
  • LastMantraLastMantra Frets: 3822
    I think it depends on what you actually hope to achieve. 
    @JAYJO that's a great deal from @digitalscream, just what you need too.
  • benmurray85benmurray85 Frets: 1396
    I think it depends on what you actually hope to achieve. 

yeah!
    How very rock and roll