idiotic reaper question

What's Hot
why can't i rename the tracks? instead of numbers i wanna call them by the instruments. everyone online on on youtube just clicks on the numbered part of the strip and over types it. it juts won't let me do that at all? 

am i missing something? I'm still on the free trial version could it be that? 

i know its only small and probably something dead easy but its doing my head in!
How very rock and roll
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4040
    I've never tried to get rid of the numbers, so I keep them, but the names of the track I make by double clicking in the correct field.  Easiest way I can think to describe it is:  make a track from any sample and you'll see the file's name appear in the mixer area and the track area.  If you double click on that name you can call it what you like.

So you can name tracks, it's just in a different bit to where the number is.  So you'll have a number AND a name.
  • hmmm im not creating tracks from samples? I'm not just recording straight into reaper. with a mic and a usb interface. i just wanna be able to write guitar, vox, bass n stuff on em
    How very rock and roll
  • ewalewal Frets: 2597
    Check out the Reaper manual http://www.reaper.fm/userguide.php

Section 1.11 has a screenshot of a track - tracks are shown in the track control panel which is to the left of the main arrangement window. Click on the track name - Guitar in the manual screenshot - and you should just be able to change it.

It's got nothing to do with using an evaluation copy, as it's still fully functional.

I guess I've just described what you seen in Youtube tutorial videos and you're none the wiser!
  • GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4040
    edited February 2014
    hmmm im not creating tracks from samples? I'm not just recording straight into reaper. with a mic and a usb interface. i just wanna be able to write guitar, vox, bass n stuff on em
    Nope, that's not what I meant. 

The reason why I said "sample" was that if you import a sample then you'll see the sample's name which you double click  -- i.e.  I said it so you could see where to double click cos I couldn't be arsed to make a screenshot and if I say "just to the right of the recording button" you may not know where that is or you may have your Reaper configured differently to mine.

But if you bring in "bongos.wav" , you'll see bongos.wav in the name box and go, "ah ha! that's the name box!"

If you have no samples just bring in any audio file, even an mp3 of the windows sounds will do it, or a Bon Jovi song,  anything works.

EDIT, lol, quicker to do a screen shot after all!  Here you go:

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I do exactly what him above does!
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • benmurray85benmurray85 Frets: 1396
    Hahahaa I got it folks. Thank you very much everyone. I was concentrating my efforts where the number was. I knew it would be user error. I have had a jolly
    Good post piss up chuckle at those screen grabs tho!
    How very rock and roll