Worrying fakes from China

What's Hot
GassageGassage Frets: 30916

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Andertons posted something about OCD fakes this morning on Facebook.
  • Wow I never even thought about fake pedals before.
    Old Is Gold
  • The OCD details (interesting it states Mooer)

http://imageshack.com/a/img812/5452/s8p1.jpg
  • timmysofttimmysoft Frets: 1962
    Next there will be fakes of fakes.
  • timmysoft said:
    Next there will be fakes of fakes.
    Either that or someone on TGP will discover that they use an ancient, forgotten circuit that easily makes them the equivalent of £1000+ pedals of yore, thus encouraging some enterprising soul to change the paint job and put the price up to match that of a small house.
    <space for hire>
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Wow I never even thought about fake pedals before.
     Fake strings are everywhere as well now
  • ForgeForge Frets: 431

I am surprised they are not faking shit yet...wait I forgot about Tradetang...

• vizviz Frets: 10694
    edited February 2014
    I think i bought a fake sm58 :(
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    viz said:
    Only one way to know...beat the drummer with it. If it still works it is a real SM58, but you may need another drummer...oh well...better be sure!
  • danodano Frets: 1593
    Aren't Wamplers just clones anyways ? So it's just fake clones :-)
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2358
    That sucks. :( I know I'm fairly easygoing when it comes to clones, but counterfeits are a whole different kettle of fish, both legally and ethically (IMO).
    Rigsby said:
    Reported, hopefully one less person ripped off. Watch for it to reappear on guitarmart or gumtree though.
  • CirrusCirrus Frets: 8491
    viz;175224" said:
    Easy way to tell; weigh it, and compare that with the listed weight on the shure website.
  • dano said:
    Aren't Wamplers just clones anyways ? So it's just fake clones :-)
    I think some of his stuff is heavily inspired, but some of it is pretty original as far as I know.  

He's also supposed to be a top bloke.  

On the other hand, I've heard different things about Fulltone and his stuff is heavily based around modified clones.  Just google him and there are plenty of threads that talk about his attitude towards customers, and legal action seems to be mentioned a lot, though I've not had personal dealings with him (I've avoided his stuff because of this very reason).  

The main problem with these is they're not just clones, they're fakes - if anyone has a fault (such as a break), there is no warranty.  And it could reflect on his business if loads of people are having faults with their 'Triple Wreck' pedals.

But why you'd buy a Triple Wreck instead of an AMT...

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72339

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• ThePrettyDamnedThePrettyDamned Frets: 7484
    edited March 2014
    ICBM said:
    Haha yeah, I know that, but what I meant was the AMT sounds better than the Triple Wreck, in my opinion obviously.  

Actually, didn't think a lot of the Triple Wreck at all... Maybe it's just fiddly to dial in?

Edit: the main thing in my post was Wampler is apparently one of the good guys, but 'fakes' are much worse than branded clones.  With a clone, you have a warranty with the store or manufacturer but with a fake, there is nothing except a potentially shoddy product that could impact sales and opinions of the real thing.  If it sounds bad, people will say a Wampler sounds bad, and if it keeps breaking, people will say Wampler pedals break, when it's not.

This is bad indeed.  Much worse than a Chinese clone company, where you're aware you're buying an inferior product.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72339
    I agree. Even though I think clones are something of a grey area, outright fakes aren't.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• timmysofttimmysoft Frets: 1962
    I think i'm just bored of the whole clone/fake/modified thing! Why cant people just go out and buy a nice strat, a rat2 and a marshall stack anymore? Everyone has to have an obscurity on their pedalboard that's supposedly the key to all of their obviously awesome tone.

If people stopped creating demand for cheap clones and fakes then there wouldnt be any. On the flip side if manufacturers charged a sensible rate for their pedals then perhaps they wouldnt get ripped on for fakes. Take Boss for an example, DS1's are cheap, why would you buy a clone or fake? to save yourself a tenner? I'd rather pay the extra and have the branded original that had all the money spent on it during r&d. I have a strict rule that i wont pay more than £100 for a pedal, i also want it to be mass produced because i want a dealer network to look after me while i'm out on tour. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • timmysoft said:
    I think i'm just bored of the whole clone/fake/modified thing! Why cant people just go out and buy a nice strat, a rat2 and a marshall stack anymore? Everyone has to have an obscurity on their pedalboard that's supposedly the key to all of their obviously awesome tone.

If people stopped creating demand for cheap clones and fakes then there wouldnt be any. On the flip side if manufacturers charged a sensible rate for their pedals then perhaps they wouldnt get ripped on for fakes. Take Boss for an example, DS1's are cheap, why would you buy a clone or fake? to save yourself a tenner? I'd rather pay the extra and have the branded original that had all the money spent on it during r&d. I have a strict rule that i wont pay more than £100 for a pedal, i also want it to be mass produced because i want a dealer network to look after me while i'm out on tour. 
    That's exactly why I'd rather go with a 'proper' company.  They have *generally* decent customer service, or are common enough to get quickly.  I wouldn't want to wait a few weeks for a spare if I had a big gig, or booked a recording studio, and I wouldn't like to count on a company like Fulltone to treat me like a human.