Mic for vocals and guitar

Hi Folks

My brother and I want to buy a mic that will allow us to record vocals and either/both of acoustic and electric guitar. 

I already have an audio interface (Scarlett 2i2) so presume all I need to get going is the mic itself. 

Could someone please point me in the right direction of what I should be looking at?

I think when I spoke to someone before a Rode NT1A was mooted - is that a good suggestion that will cover all bases?

Thanks!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7769
    That will work if you're not recording in a box room. For a dynamic mic you can try a Heil pr22, as the top end boost will work well for vocals (with a pop filter) & acoustics.
  • JasonJason Frets: 1103
    tFB Trader
    I use a SM57 for both, I know its the mic an amp choice, but I was recommended it for singing in to by a studio engineer, a bit of googling later and I find out that Springsteen and Bono also have used them for singing.
    The Guitar Show, Cranmore Park, Birmingham | Website | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter | Podcast
  • BRISTOL86BRISTOL86 Frets: 1920
    That will work if you're not recording in a box room. For a dynamic mic you can try a Heil pr22, as the top end boost will work well for vocals (with a pop filter) & acoustics.
    And if I am recording in a box room?!
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7769
    edited October 2017
    @Jason Bono uses the Beta58 but this is fairly different to an sm57. 

@BRISTOL86 Then get a dynamic mic like the Heil I mentioned rather than a condensor like the Rode which will pick up more room sound (or if on a low sm57 type budget an Audix i5 instead) 
  • BRISTOL86BRISTOL86 Frets: 1920
    Thanks guys :)