Taming a 60w Fender

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72323
    shaunm said:
    What wattage is the perfect gigging valve amp? The DDRI?
    You would think so in volume terms, but it depends what you need them for… I find they don't take heavy distortion sounds very well - they fart out at a lower volume than their own natural overdrive sound and sound too compressed.

I prefer the Vibrolux or Pro Reverb at 35-40W, they have more solidity to the sound, even though you then can't get them to overdrive by themselves.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • shaunmshaunm Frets: 1598
    So is there a fender that has good typical fender cleans (so not a tweed) and can be pushed into natural amp Drive at normal pub gig volume?
  • I reckon the bassbreaker 007
    shaunm said:
    So is there a fender that has good typical fender cleans (so not a tweed) and can be pushed into natural amp Drive at normal pub gig volume?
    Yes, Princeton Reverb.

I reckon the bassbreaker 007
    I tried one. Absolutely awful-sounding thing, all overcompressed mud and no typical Fender clarity whatever. The only Fender valve amp I've tried that I liked less than the Blues Junior.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

I’m not sure that a Princeton would cut it in a live situation for me in a two guitar band playing rocky stuff. I struggled with a 18 watt tweed and 18 Marshall 
  • 22w supersonic 
    shaunm said:
    I’m not sure that a Princeton would cut it in a live situation for me in a two guitar band playing rocky stuff. I struggled with a 18 watt tweed and 18 Marshall 
    In that case a Deluxe, or possibly a Vibrolux.

• cbellangacbellanga Frets: 572
    edited October 2017
    What about replacing the speaker with something less efficient?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DJH83004DJH83004 Frets: 196
    SF Vibrolux reverb with 2 x 10" Legend 1028Ks, being 6L6, it has all drive you should need, more than my SF Deluxe reverb in fact. 
    If you want an undynamic , bassy, farty mess then the bassbreaker 7w is ideal
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    If you want an undynamic , bassy, farty mess then the bassbreaker 7w is ideal
    Ha ha 
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16095
    bite the bullet and get a Carr Rambler 
    @ICBM on the Supersonic if you run a patch cable in the fx loop you can turn the volume up or down using the send and receive knobs. If I did this in reverse and had the volume low via the fx loop but the master high on the amp would this damage my amp at all?
    shaunm said:
    @ICBM on the Supersonic if you run a patch cable in the fx loop you can turn the volume up or down using the send and receive knobs. If I did this in reverse and had the volume low via the fx loop but the master high on the amp would this damage my amp at all?
    No, definitely not.

The only thing to avoid with FX loops is too much gain boost - usually overdrive/distortion/fuzz pedals or external amp-type preamps, which can sometimes make the main amp unstable. (If you're using an external preamp you can run it into the FX return as long as it's not also connected to the send).