scratchplate for a guitarbuild strat body

What's Hot
I've tried a couple of scratchplates over one of their strat bodies and they dont fit. Anyone know what the score is here, what I need to look for? 
I'd rather not pay £25 for a scratchplate from them if at all possible.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FatPeteFatPete Frets: 683
    Is it the actual outline shape of the guards that don't match, or the pickup or bridge cut-outs?
    Trading feedback: Trading feedback
  • daveyhdaveyh Frets: 684
    It’s the pickup routs don’t match
  • paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3054
    Thats odd, I've had a couple of Guitarbuild Strat bodies and generic plates have just need relieving a bit where they butt against the trem, pickuos have never been an issue, might be worth a chat with guitarbuild, although Ive messaged through facebook ans emailed twice with the spec for a custom body and am still waiting for a reply a week later....
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

• Jez6345789Jez6345789 Frets: 1783
    Think I used northwest ones and they fitted fine
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14426
    I have a Guitarbuild HSS Stratocaster body. Assorted genuine Fender scratchplates fit perfectly. As has been mentioned, where a larger than traditional vibrato bridge has been installed, the plastic made need dressing away to accommodate that vibrato.

The one other area with potential to be problematic is that Guitarbuild cuts the neck and centre pickup routs to vintage-correct dimensions. On guitars with a fingerboard extension for a twenty second fret, it is necessary to slide the scratchplate approximately one quarter of an inch until it butts up against the neck heel. The Guitarbuild routing makes no allowance for this. (In fairness, why should it?)
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    I had a guitarbuild body routed for a single humbucker and the generic guard I bought was miles off (ok, a good 1/4" anyway). But that isn't a standard format and can vary - even between Fender models.

If it is a model with a bridge hb that is causing the problem, I should think you could see from photos if another guard is different enough to fit. If it's a trad 3x singles body, I think you might have just been unlucky with out of spec guards, because what I've seen of GB's stuff (3 bodies) has been spot-on when it comes to the 'vintage correct' details.

FWIW, looking at GB's current stock and photos of mine, it looks like they've changed the position so the bridge p/up is now further from the bridge.

Mine:

Current:

And, just to complete the unhelpfulness of this post, I can't offer suggestions if yours is like mine, cos I just did this:

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    It’s this body (which looks quite different now). Guitarbuild tell me it’s vintage correct routing

https://imgur.com/gallery/hdPjv
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    I got a Guitarbuild SSH body, and a scratchlate from Axesrus fitted perfectly

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Excellent, I shall give that a shot
  • DrBobDrBob Frets: 3006
    I've had this issue with HSS bodies from Guitarbuild and HSS pickguards from various sources ! You have to route the front edge of the bridge Humbucker hole in the body to make it work 
    That’s the thing, the plate outline matched up fine with the guitar and bridge but the rout didn’t match
  • GoldenEraGuitarsGoldenEraGuitars Frets: 8823
    tFB Trader
    I go through a lot of GB bodies... I’ve had scratchplates from Axecaster, North West, Axesrus, generic non branded eBay stuff... all seems to fit fine. I use a lot of HSS bodies too, I have one going out on Monday which I’ll post a picture of to let you see the routing.
    Cheers bud
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27493
    FatPete said:

Thats a bit tasty @FatPete.

The sort of tasty thing that deserves a thread all of its very own, in which we can all say "wow".
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    TTony said:

The sort of tasty thing that deserves a thread all of its very own, in which we can all say "wow".
    Thanks @TTony Is it appropriate to post 'look at my pretty (weird) things' type threads? I should warn you I'm about 8 partscasters into an expensive habit!
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    FatPete said:
    TTony said:

Thanks @TTony Is it appropriate to post 'look at my pretty (weird) things' type threads? I should warn you I'm about 8 partscasters into an expensive habit!
    It is not only appropriate, but expected.
  • ChalkyChalky Frets: 6811
    FatPete said:
    TTony said:

It is not only appropriate, but expected.
    Stop stalling @FatPete - its Sunday so you can get that thread done today! :)