Ed Ozric - Guitar detail vids!

What's Hot
blobbblobb Frets: 2951
Well, how about this for a treat. Ed Wynne is posting videos on youtube showing some guitar riffs etc from various Ozric Tentacles tracks.

I'll start by sharing this belter 'Myriapod'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c83uOiXPF1k&feature=youtu.be

Let's hope he keeps this going for a while.

Feelin' Reelin' & Squeelin'
0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• That’s just awesome. I love listening to Ozrics but haven’t  attempted playing their songs. I have actually been wondering recently about what theory or scales are behind the songs, sounds like Ed uses a lot of crazy eastern scales. These videos could be very educational. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • blobbblobb Frets: 2951
    If you ask him, he says he doesn't know!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11896
    You need more frets (or very accurate bending) to get into the scales beyond 12 semitones

I think Ozrics are only using 12 semitones, but not sure what modes and scales, there are some experts on here with better-trained ears than me for that, eh @viz ?
  • vizviz Frets: 10694
    edited October 2017
    Yes well I very much doubt my ears are better than yours but it starts off em pentatonic with a touch of dorian, then it modulates to bm when the solo starts - he plays bm dorian, then phrygian dominant and/or a bit of double harmonic, can't remember if the 7th is sharpened or not, then it goes back to em and he plays 4th mode of harmonic minor mixed with hungarian minor (both are minor scales with an augmented 4th) then the e dorian section at the top of the guitar, then back to e penta at the bottom. Nice!
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Pretty crazy stuff, he probably does it instinctively. It would be interesting to know how he learnt, back in the mists of time. Steve Hillage must be a big influence. 

@blobb ;what is/are your favourite album? 

• blobbblobb Frets: 2951
    I don't really have a favourite album. I was a fan early on so I do have a fondness for the early festival era ( Live Ethereal Cereal is a good record of this). Maybe if I had to choose a studio album, Arboresence.

Hillage is a big influence, as are Kraan, but Donovan used to live at his house so as far as influence goes there's a whole load of people. Ultimately though, he's Ed.
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11896
    Pretty crazy stuff, he probably does it instinctively. It would be interesting to know how he learnt, back in the mists of time. Steve Hillage must be a big influence. 

@blobb ;what is/are your favourite album? 

I love Steve Hillage solos
    I can't think of anyone else with so many (what seems to me) major-scale focussed solos