Anyone use the low input on a jcm800 ?!

What's Hot
riffpowersriffpowers Frets: 344
me and my friend were talking about our jcm800's and we both realised we've never attempted to use the low input for anything . My friend plug straight in , I use a ts9 as a clean boost.
i don't think I've ever seen anyone using the low input .

are we missing a trick ?! Anyone use their low inputs ?! Any tips or tricks ?!!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2897
    I've used it for about 5 minutes. Just feels criminal to use an 800 for cleans haha, though they are very nice and take pedals well!
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72330
    I like it as a pedal/multi-FX platform, but not with the guitar straight in - it sounds a bit anaemic, to me. Even if I want a clean sound I prefer the High with the gain turned down.

Part of the problem is that if you run the guitar straight in or use only true bypass pedals, there is no gain stage before the preamp volume pot - the pot is a load on the guitar pickups.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Yep, I use the low input 99% of the time. As @ICBM suggested I use it with pedals in front for my band and it sounds really good. 

I agree that not using the hi input is a bit of a shame as it's so fun, but it's simply not versatile enough for the music we play. If I was playing NWOBHM stuff Id be using the high input all the time.
  • prlgmnrprlgmnr Frets: 3989
    I love it as a sort of high headroom clean/pedal platform typey thing, I run it with the master maxed, presence on 0, bass maxed, treble and mids to taste and set the volume with the preamp gain.
  • MoltisantiMoltisanti Frets: 1132
    yep used it in a wedding band for a couple of years, low input, gain on full, sounds awesome and is a great pedal platform

• Yes depending on gig, 
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7417
    I used mine on the Low input all the time - far from sounding 'anaemic' I absolutely loved it, both with a good Strat and with a DGT. (might have made a difference that I was running it with healthy master volume and using a Two Notes reactive load) It was easy to get back to a great Marshall crunch with a medium gain pedal. 

I did worry for a while that it was sacrilegious but I simply preferred it that way. 

That approach won't suit everyone - I recall vividly being round at Jonny Scaramanga's house and plugging into the low input on my amp and he gave me a look like I'd just walked dog shit in on his carpet lol 
    Red ones are better. 
  • CirrusCirrus Frets: 8491
    I, too, liked it with the gain on full as a pedal platform, though obviously it makes it a totally different amp it becomes a much more practical one.
  • mattdavismattdavis Frets: 841
    I've always loved the clean tone from my jcm 800 through the low input with my Les Paul. I tend to keep the gain at 4 ish and the volume at 4 - and it's such a warm, full sound. Think the well broken in 35 year old g12-65s help. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom