12AY7 options

What's Hot
springheadspringhead Frets: 1596
I've got my 5E3 build running.  Had a few hum niggles but mostly sorted now.

I'm using a JJ 12AY7 for V1.  Sounds ok but a little noisy, maybe they all are or maybe it's the one I've got?

Has anyone got experience of others, particularly in comparison to the JJ?  NOS ones seem to be very pricey so apart from JJ it looks like EH and then Harma and TAD - both of which may be rebranded EH's I guess as I think JJ and EH are the only factories making them.

Any thoughts? 

TAD/Harma worth the money? If only to get a selected valve that may be lower noise than one bought at random from EH?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72406
    From experience I would go for TAD even if they all come out of the same factory.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• springheadspringhead Frets: 1596
    Thanks.  I was tempted to head in that direction but thought I'd stop here to ask first. 
  • merlinmerlin Frets: 6690
    It's definitely worth investing in a good V1, particularly in a 5e3. 
    TAD do a Premium Selected and a "Highgrade" version.  Apart from 7EU extra on the price it doesn't say what the difference is.  If it's lower noise I could be tempted.

• john_rjohn_r Frets: 130
    I have a TAD premium selected 12AY7 in v1 of my ceriatone 5e3, could not be happier with it. 
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11452
    I've used the EH 12AY7s with no problems.  Last time I needed to buy they were the only option.  I have wondered about trying the JJ.  I generally prefer their preamp valves to EH.
  • RiftAmpsRiftAmps Frets: 3170
    tFB Trader
    +1 on the TAD, code RT070. I've never had one fail, go microphonic, or be anything other than exceptional.

Don't spend the extra on the one with gold pins though, waste of time!

*I no longer offer replacement speaker baffles*
    Rift Amplification
    Handwired Guitar Amplifiers
    Brackley, Northamptonshire
    www.riftamps.co.uk

• What's the price differential on the best new production compared to NOS Jules? 
    Looks like maybe £40, £50 and upto name your silly price.  But the problem is they tend to be in the US so shipping and maybe duty on top of that.  I think that's because there wasn't a UK, Mullard/Brimar equivalent that I'm aware of, so not many kicking around here.  Plus once it's arrived from the US you're gambling on getting a good low noise non-microphonic example - unless it's a dealer and they're been properly tested, not just a quick emission test.

So although I'd love a good NOS example - and I'll buy one if price and circumstance are right - I think I'll order up one from TAD. 

Thanks for all the replies - I'll let you know how it compares to the JJ.

• kreggskreggs Frets: 64
    I have tried the jj and the eh in a 5e3 circuit. The jj is darker sounding. The eh is much brighter. I prefer the eh. You can really hear the difference. I wouldn't  hesitate  to try the Tad. I have heard good reviews
  • OssyrocksOssyrocks Frets: 1673
    I’m currently running NOS GE’s in both of mine, but to get to that point I must have at least two others in both of my amps. If they aren’t noisy and microphonic to start with, they often go that way after a while. So I’m actually thinking of trying some new production ones in that position.

The TAD seems to be the one to try first.

Cheers,
    Rob
    Hi Rob,

I'll let you know how I get on with the TAD, should be here in a few days.  All I've got to go on is the JJ which is ok but I think it should be quieter.

Jules

• OssyrocksOssyrocks Frets: 1673
    @springhead ;Much appreciated. Look forward to the report.
  • ESchapESchap Frets: 1428

The TADs are JJ, same internal structure.   Probably pre-screened by TAD.  Still prefer the tone of the EH in Tweed Circuits.  

Worth remembering that a 12AY7 is really overloading a 0.5 watt plate resistor.  Changing up to 1 watt plate resistors in my 5E3 took quite a lot of hiss and electrical noise away. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Interesting about the JJ/TAD.  I'll have both here later this week so see if they look the same.
    Harma's are the other option, which are from the Reflektor factory - so basically pre-selected EH 12AY7's. 

The 12AY7 isn't overloading a 0.5W anode resistor.  0.25W would still have some margin.  Higher power dissipation resistors are inherently lower noise so I suspect you're getting the benefit of that.  I've used 2W metal films in mine, partly for that reason and also as they are higher voltage rated, 500V for the ones I'm using.  Some of the lower power resistors are marginal for voltage rating, particularly for anode resistors at turn on when the valves aren't sucking any current.

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72406

The 12AY7 isn't overloading a 0.5W anode resistor.  0.25W would still have some margin.  Higher power dissipation resistors are inherently lower noise so I suspect you're getting the benefit of that.  I've used 2W metal films in mine, partly for that reason and also as they are higher voltage rated, 500V for the ones I'm using.  Some of the lower power resistors are marginal for voltage rating, particularly for anode resistors at turn on when the valves aren't sucking any current.
    Yes - it's not the power dissipation that's usually the cause of plate resistor failure with using a 12AY7 or 12AT7, it's the voltage rating. The dead resistor will almost always look perfectly normal and not discoloured, but has broken down internally.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Quick update.  The TAD 12AY7 arrived and does indeed appear to be a selected and branded JJ.

The TAD is much quieter.  Steady hiss level has dropped but also I was getting an intermittent 'frying bacon' sound on the Bright channel.  It would appear that this was within that half of the JJ as it's failed to reoccur with the TAD.

Soundwise they're both JJ so not much I can say!  I have however ordered a Harma 12AY7, given that it's a selected EH so hopefully also will perfom well for noise and lack of microhpony.  I'll compare that with the TAD as and when it arrives.

• JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6391
    12AY7 in V1 is one of the Bill's Blues Junior mods for taming the distortion - I found it very noisy. (Electro Harmonix I think it was)
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback