Fryette Power Station 2 - Any Good ? Users Thoughts ?

What's Hot
WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9532
Seems to be a lot of love for these...

TPS raves about em too.

Anyone own or tried them ? Are they noisy ?

Cheers in advance,
Waz
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ChesterChester Frets: 52
    Got a V1 - great piece of gear, which does exactly what it is spec'd to do .. very well. Great tone shaping ability

Low noise floor but has a cooling fan that you can hear when not playing .. bit like Mesa's that have them, but a tad louder. Only minor niggle I have is the input plastic jacks they use. Not been an issue (yet), but other than that ..  ;)
  • edbolivaredbolivar Frets: 153
    I have the V2 and can’t imagine not having one now. Brilliant piece of kit, particularly useful with amps that like to be opened up a bit, and adds a brilliant loop if so inclined.

Turns my Z wreck from a loud clean amp into a very useable dirty beast
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I'm planning on getting one. When I was in Italy on Justin Sandercoe's Course in September, Justin said he was planning to get one because Dario Cortese, who shares the teaching, has one, and Justin said he'd been impressed that it really did a good job both as either an attenuator, or as a power amp.
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9532
    edbolivar said:
    I have the V2 and can’t imagine not having one now. Brilliant piece of kit, particularly useful with amps that like to be opened up a bit, and adds a brilliant loop if so inclined.

Guys, does the v2 add noise/hiss to your amps ?
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11594
    tFB Trader
    they have great write ups and even Dave Friedman raves about them.
    great for letting you play a pushed amp at whatever volume or also making a small amp like a champ be able to be louder

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

• ThorpyFXThorpyFX Frets: 6131
    tFB Trader
    edbolivar said:

Guys, does the v2 add noise/hiss to your amps ?
    No definitely not. Love my V2 
    Adrian Thorpe MBE | Owner of ThorpyFx Ltd | Email: thorpy@thorpyfx.com | Twitter: @ThorpyFx | Facebook: ThorpyFx Ltd | Website: www.thorpyfx.com
  • kjdowdkjdowd Frets: 852
    Yep. Great piece of kit. Use mine with axe fx as a power amp mainly. Sounds great. 
  • they have great write ups and even Dave Friedman raves about them.
    great for letting you play a pushed amp at whatever volume or also making a small amp like a champ be able to be louder
    I got really excited there, I thought you meant David Fridmann but no there is a Dave Friedmann. 
    @Wazmeister ;
    no noise added at all to amps, and I have tried quite a few through it.
    edbolivar said:
    @Wazmeister ;
    no noise added at all to amps, and I have tried quite a few through it.
    Brilliant. One incoming 

• Is there much difference between the V1 and V2 versions ?
    Is there much difference between the V1 and V2 versions ?
    "The new PS-2 sports a front panel Input Level sensitivity switch. This helps make high powered NMV amps more controllable.
    A rear panel Low Pass Filter Bypass switch allows you to deactivate the output filter that shaves off any annoying top end information generated by a raw cranked amp.
    A transformer isolated Balanced XLR Line Output makes direct recording easier and more convenient.
    Otherwise they are identical."
  • Is there much difference between the V1 and V2 versions ?
    "The new PS-2 sports a front panel Input Level sensitivity switch. This helps make high powered NMV amps more controllable.
    A rear panel Low Pass Filter Bypass switch allows you to deactivate the output filter that shaves off any annoying top end information generated by a raw cranked amp.
    A transformer isolated Balanced XLR Line Output makes direct recording easier and more convenient.

Thats great thank you 

V1 may still do for my needs 
    Is there much difference between the V1 and V2 versions ?

Thats great thank you 

V1 may still do for my needs 
    Ive actually little idea what all that means, but Im a tool so Ive gone for the v2...

However, the v1 seems great value used.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    The front panel sensitivity switch makes a big difference, and has proved very useful, so v2 a good call
  • ChalkyChalky Frets: 6811
    What's the going rates for the v1 vs v2?
  • drwiddlydrwiddly Frets: 916
    edited October 2017
    I have a v1 and it's an excellent piece of gear. I had trouble with it at first due to a manufacturing fault and Guitar Guitar refusing to accept they'd sold me a lemon. I bit the bullet in the end and had it repaired by a tech and it's been great ever since.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72323
    drwiddly said:
    I have a v1 and it's an excellent piece of gear. I had trouble with it at first due to a manufacturing fault and Guitar Guitar refusing to accept they'd sold me a lemon. I bit the bullet in the end and had it repaired by a tech and it's been great ever since.
    I've done a job like this for another forum member. In my opinion it's not particularly well-designed, and the one I worked on had a potentially dangerous assembly fault as well.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Thanks for all the input folks
  • Think I'm going to pull the trigger on one too. But the V2 as used V1 prices still don't reflect good value given that they were £450-500 at one stage 

Think it will work well for me as I have 3 solid state Marshall amps that have a line out so I could use as a great 6L6 power amp 

Also a power amp for my Carvin legacy drive

And my Engl Ironball that only has EL84 output which would further benefit from a 6L6 output thump

The fx loop is also a huge bonus