"Modern" relic

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72339
    As it's not 'vintage', surely a 'real' strat plus that's been damaged a would be significantly cheaper?
    You'll find a lot of people think of 80s guitars as "vintage" these days. Or even early 90s ones… they're over 20 years old now. Not to me they aren't - but some people think they are.

And yes, an original Strat Plus in that sort of condition would be worth a fraction of that price - about the same as a new Mexican Standard Strat probably.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7143
    It would be worth about £450 tops to me in that condition.

Win a Cort G250 SE Guitar in our Guitar Bomb Free UK Giveaway 

• FezFez Frets: 522
    Like Che I don't get this damage a guitar to try and make look cool thing.
    Maybe I could pick one with a damaged body like that up cheap and put a new body on it.
    Don't touch that dial.
  • LastMantraLastMantra Frets: 3822
    I play a "reliced" "RW" Strat because I think a bare wood neck rounded edges and a matte finish plays much better. It's a tool for making music, I don't care about mojo or whether a guitar has "lived" or "breathed".

Most other instruments have a bare wood neck, violins etc. I think the main reason electric guitars don't is because when they first came out they weren't classed as "real" instruments.
    TBH that was a lie. Nothing wrong with a little mojo from time to time as long as it doesn't become obsessive. :-?
  • Jez6345789Jez6345789 Frets: 1783
    Bloody awful
    Once in a while I see a tasteful relic job that looks nicely played in which a lacquer checked finish with the odd ding and a little wear etc

Makes me laugh with all these belt sanded and dented shit you would think every gig was played out in the Roadhouse cage, every set ended in a massive bar room brawl and Fender were the only weapons at hand. And for good measure the lead guitarist demolished several bikers Harleys to a pile of metal  with a few well placed swings of his Fender Axe.

You could find a good Strat plus for half the money and do that sort of relic job in an afternoon if you mush have one.

Bad Fender

• timmysofttimmysoft Frets: 1962
    I think it looks mega. Looks like one of my guitars after a year of touring
  • mcsdanmcsdan Frets: 451
    It hurts my eyes

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72339
    edited March 2014

Most other instruments have a bare wood neck, violins etc. I think the main reason electric guitars don't is because when they first came out they weren't classed as "real" instruments.

I don't think it has anything to do with that. Electric guitars were very much considered 'real' instruments by Gibson at least, as early as the 1930s.

Early 20th century acoustic guitars generally had mahogany or even cedar necks, which require finishing unlike the maple necks used on violins. Electric guitars evolved from these mahogany-necked guitars, so even when they had necks made from maple it was normal to finish them.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• LixartoLixarto Frets: 1618
    I like that :)
    "I can see you for what you are; an idiot barely in control of your own life. And smoking weed doesn't make you cool; it just makes you more of an idiot."
    ICBM said:

I don't think it has anything to do with that. Electric guitars were very much considered 'real' instruments by Gibson at least, as early as the 1930s.

Early 20th century acoustic guitars generally had mahogany or even cedar necks, which require finishing unlike the maple necks used on violins. Electric guitars evolved from these mahogany-necked guitars, so even when they had necks made from maple it was normal to finish them.

Aye, I suppose it would be more true of the modern, mas-produced solid bodies, post tele. The earliest electric guitars where really an attempt to amplify acoustic instruments.
  • timmysofttimmysoft Frets: 1962
    I really like it, it's nice to see fender giving the same treatment to more modern designs, I'd definitely own one and you know that coming from fenders custom shop it'll be better than a lot of those old strat plus guitars actually were.
  • DrJazzTapDrJazzTap Frets: 2168
    I don't mind it, its slightly too heavy for me (relicing wise). I prefer the way the original strat plus's have aged. I used to have one, px'd it for my SG. And lately (well the last year or so) I've been keeping an eye on ebay listings. I can safely say, I've never seen a Strat plus which has been abused as much as that one (apart from a few DIY humbrol refinishing jobs!). But yeah after the Rory Gallagher strat for what was it? £3000? Yeah not for me.
    I would love to change my username, but I fully understand the T&C's (it was an old band nickname). So please feel free to call me Dave.