Best 2x12 cab for a mesa boogie triple rectifier?

zomniuszomnius Frets: 7
Besides my jcm800 4210 with green back, I now have a triple rectifier. Looking for a 2x12 cab (portability is king) so what are the best choices?  (sludge/post)
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• MikeBMikeB Frets: 176
    One of Mesas own would be a good but expensive choice. Failing that not heard much bad press about anything Zilla does and that would give some scope to tweak your speaker choice. 
  • CarpeDiemCarpeDiem Frets: 291
    Mesa cabs are good, but portability may be an issue. I agree with @MikeB in suggesting Zilla - the 2x12 Studio Pro is similar construction to Mesa, has side carry handles, and can be either closed or open back.
  • thx ill check it out

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72330
    Harley Benton G212V. Really!

All-ply and fitted with V30s for only about the price of the speakers alone.

OK with two V30s it's only a 120W cabinet, but you're highly unlikely to be cranking a TR fully to power-stage overdrive.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• simonksimonk Frets: 1467
    edited October 2017
    If you’re serious about portability I’d look to the Matrix NL212 (can be had in either neo V30’alike or neo Creamback configurations). I have the V30‘alike variant and it’s a brilliant cab... and only 12Kg.

I should add that I’ve had both Mesa Recto and Zilla Fatboy 2x12’s, and they both sounded great... not fun to move around though. I can carry the Matrix one handed.
  • rawk100rawk100 Frets: 1757
    @simonk how does the Matrix compare sound wise to the mesa & zilla?..
  • simonksimonk Frets: 1467
    @rawk100 ;
    It’s hard to compare them directly really as the Recto went long ago, and the Zilla went once the Matrix arrived. The Zilla had Creamback 65’s in it and had a LOT of bass, too much for me at times. The speakers in the Matrix took a good while to break in, 10 hours or so before I felt they sounded their best.
    We did an open air thing in the summer to around 1000 people where we had last minute mixing desk problems. We ended up sending just the vocals to the PA and cranking the amps right up. I was using my Boogie MkV25 with the Matrix and it sounded mega... probably the best live sound I’ve ever had.
  • JD50JD50 Frets: 658
    ICBM said:
    Harley Benton G212V. Really!

All-ply and fitted with V30s for only about the price of the speakers alone.

OK with two V30s it's only a 120W cabinet, but you're highly unlikely to be cranking a TR fully to power-stage overdrive.
    Power handling: 120 W into 8 ohms or 2 x 60 W at 16 Ohm

would there be a difference is sound or playing experience between the options?

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72330
    JD50 said:

would there be a difference is sound or playing experience between the options?
    The 16 ohm inputs are for stereo use. If you connect both of them you would still need to run the amp at 8 ohms just as if it was two separate 16-ohm cabs.

You could in theory use only one, but only one speaker would be working and it might sound odd.

To be honest the jack/switch panel is the one weak point with these cabs (like many with this sort of arrangement) and I would be inclined to remove it and fit two paralleled jacks with the cab hardwired to 8 ohms unless you have a real need for the stereo option.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein