Mandolins on a budget

What's Hot
TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7418
First up, I don't know specifically what that budget might be, cos this is pre-emptive research for when I have any spare money, but let's say I wanted to dabble in/learn some Mando, what's the options in say £100-£300 ? (used, as ever, is fine) 

I prefer the look of the F (why are they called that?) type over the A, but perhaps beggars can't be choosers. 

The focus is really on learning to play it, rather than best tone, so if it holds tune and everything is straight and true I'd be happy enough

ta!
Red ones are better. 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• mgawmgaw Frets: 5261
    A shape will be cheaper, eastman are a good bet, personally i would spend at the top end of your budget as the cheaper ones really are generally shit...
    https://www.ivormairants.co.uk/eastman-md305-a-style-mandolin.html

this 2nd hand would be more than good enough

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • mgawmgaw Frets: 5261
    how about this one 
    www.ebay.co.uk/itm/kentucky-mandolin-MK-505/302501029225?hash=item466e776569:g:VeMAAOSwH-dZ8L~k

they can be very good for the money

• TTonyTTony Frets: 27487
    Hobgoblin is a good place to go try a few, if you're ever in the big City.
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • LewyLewy Frets: 4200
    TimmyO said:
    First up, I don't know specifically what that budget might be, cos this is pre-emptive research for when I have any spare money, but let's say I wanted to dabble in/learn some Mando, what's the options in say £100-£300 ? (used, as ever, is fine) 

I prefer the look of the F (why are they called that?) type over the A, but perhaps beggars can't be choosers. 

The focus is really on learning to play it, rather than best tone, so if it holds tune and everything is straight and true I'd be happy enough

ta!
    Don’t disassociate tone from wanting to learn ... few things sound worse than a shit sounding mando and i promise you will not want to pick it up to practice...

I’ve heard decent sounding Kentuckys and Eastmans are consistently good for the money. I’d def go A shape for value. 
  • I had an Ozark A shape a few years ago it stayed in tune and was adjustable in terms of action, by which I mean some need to have the nut cut due to poor set up. Any Thomann mandos  will probably need a set up. So maybe worth trying Eagle Music as they set up all the mandolins they sell.
    I too have heard good things about Eastman's but never played one but they are slim at the nut.
    If you can increase your budget then look for a second hand Moon Mandolin.
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15488
    tim,
    I am in the process of buying a mando off of noisy (need to get some stuff shifted 1st ideally), when I do my current mando will be going spare. It was given to me by bidley of this parish. It's an ok sounding mando, not too bad at all actually. I was gonna give it to a music charity down here, however if you want it, it's yours. It's more than good enough to learn the basics on.

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7418
    VimFuego said:
    tim,
    I am in the process of buying a mando off of noisy (need to get some stuff shifted 1st ideally), when I do my current mando will be going spare. It was given to me by bidley of this parish. It's an ok sounding mando, not too bad at all actually. I was gonna give it to a music charity down here, however if you want it, it's yours. It's more than good enough to learn the basics on.
    Mate that would be amazing :-) 

Drop me a note when you're all sorted and we can sort it out!
    If I take to it and upgrade I'll pass it on in kind. It could be the forum learner-mando 

cheers
    Red ones are better. 
  • Balrog68Balrog68 Frets: 100
    I've got an 'A' style Ozark Mandolin. Sweet tone, needed a bit of a set up but its no different to setting up a guitar. Got mine from Eagle music as previously mentioned about 18 months ago and its well within your budget.
    Started out on a cheapo Chinese Mando that cost me about £35 including postage and found that most of the similar looking instruments from the lowest up the £150 mark, (including 'branded' models like Fender and stagg) are all the same shit quality despite the variation in price. Paying £100 more won't always get you a better instrument....just a better name.
  • KDSKDS Frets: 221
    Eastman A shape are great value 2nd hand
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    The "F" stands for Florentine - the scroll and point style.

The "A" doesn't really stand for anything, but if it did, I'd like to think it stood for "A bit less pretentious"

Mandolins can be F or A style, and can either have a round soundhole, or two f shaped holes. 

Confusingly, you can have an A style with f holes, or an F style with an A hole.

I giggle still when someone asks me if I want to see their F style A hole. 

• BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    In answer to the rest of the OPs question - in my experience cheap mandolins are harder to play and discourage learning much more than cheap guitars. 

They are much much more difficult to tune, keep in tune, intonate, fret correctly and play generally. 

Received wisdom is to find a UK luthier who has some "mass production" techniques who produces a basic level instrument - such as a Jimmy Moon mandolin which will set you back about £750.

The Eastman 304/305 series (at about £500) are good - but buy it from somewhere that does a setup, like TAMCO in Brighton. However, the extra £250 is well worth it. 

Mandolins aint cheap instruments if you want something that won't frustrate. 
  • BasherBasher Frets: 1206
    TimmyO said:

I prefer the look of the F (why are they called that?) 
    I think it stood for "Florentine"  because of the extra points, curves, squiggles and scroll.

Said scroll on F-style instruments is sometimes referred to as a "$1000 strap hanger". That this passes for high comedy in the mandolin community shows the extent to which struggling with the torturously high-tension strings fucks with your brain.

Actually it is amazing that someone would be stupid enough to pay a massive upcharge for an elaborate ornament with no sonic use whatsoever.

....I did.

So yes, best value are definitely A-styles. You will also have to consider that mandolins have either F or oval soundholes. The F-holes generally give a sharper, more aggressive tone beloved of bluegrass types. The oval generally sounds more ..err... rounded and is often used more in celtic or old-timey styles. Take this with a pinch of salt though as there are killer players in all genres playing both types of instrument. 

Definitely look out for a used Eastman A-style. They don't come up for sale that often though but they're fantastic instruments for the price. A friend has just bought their cheapest oval hole A style (304) and really likes it. He also regularly gigs a "The Loar" (as opposed to a  Lloyd Loar, it's an important difference - as in about a $225,000 difference!) F5 model and likes that too. A new The Loar A style might be not too far outside your budget.

I know we're all supposed to get the best sounding instrument but don't underestimate playability. A badly set up mandolin is a world of pain (literally) and the tolerances for setups are quite fine compared to guitars. 
  • Can I suggest the seagull s8 I totally love it, it's made impeccably plus sounds good and an unusual shape... 
  • I was going to buy a Mandolin but I've decided to save up for a bit and get this.

http://www.eaglemusicshop.com/prod/mandolins/Eastman-MD415-GD-Handcrafted-F-style-Mandolin-Gold-Finish-with-Case.htm
  • Can I suggest the seagull s8 I totally love it, it's made impeccably plus sounds good and an unusual shape... 
    I must admit I really like the look of the S8 and the wider nut is appealing also.
    I'm meeting @VimFuego and @noisepolluter at the weekend for a sexy 3-way Mando-swapping session over a pub lunch. 
    Red ones are better. 
    I was going to buy a Mandolin but I've decided to save up for a bit and get this.

http://www.eaglemusicshop.com/prod/mandolins/Eastman-MD415-GD-Handcrafted-F-style-Mandolin-Gold-Finish-with-Case.htm
    Goldtop? That's amazing
    Red ones are better. 
  • baj25baj25 Frets: 2
    I bought a Kentucky 505 last year, it needed some setting up, but now is great to play and people say it sounds good. A nice change from playing guitar.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    I have my budget Mandolin! (courtesy of @VimFuego )

Vim bought @noisepolluter 's fancy Fylde Mano and I inherited Vim's inexpensive one. Plinking and plonking will commence later. 

Also, we had a pretty good Sunday roast at the pub we met up in - good day all round 
    Red ones are better. 
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4981
    There are quite a number of mandos, banjos and odd shaped acoustic stringed instruments in Waltons, Blanchardstown Shopping Centre in Dublin.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum