Advice on machine heads required.

What's Hot
I bought a used Revelation RX62 (SG style guitar) off Gumtree for a bargain price (£50 with amp). The person was selling cheaply as she had lost one of the tulip buttons of the machine head. I've seen on eBay that replacement buttons can be bought very cheaply but wonder if they will work on all the different Kluson style tuners?

Or am I better changing the machine heads completely?

If I were to go the way of changing them completely, do they tend to be a standard size, i.e. will the holes match up?

Without paying silly prices are there any recommendations?

Sorry for what is probably a numpty question but I've not been playing long (less than 12 months) and this is my first electric, so on a learning curve.

Cheers

Simon
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    Can you post a pic of the tuners in question?
  • *Cough* I've got SG sized robo tuners sitting about *cough* 

http://thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/116768/fs-gibson-g-force-tuners-board-and-charger#latest

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
  • This would be a good suggestion but it's quite likely the tuners are spaced differently on the Headstock so it wouldn't fit. 
  • Can you post a pic of the tuners in question?
    Hope this helps

• streethawkstreethawk Frets: 1631
    edited November 2017
    Replace the button and see how you get on with them before buying a replacement set. 

http://www.stewmac.com/How-To/Online_Resources/Hardware_Installation/Replacing_damaged_tuner_knobs.html

If you do end up wanting to replace them, you'll need to measure the diameter of the posts that go through the headstock. 
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14243
    tFB Trader
    they look regular far eastern size for a Kluson Copy that are available on most copies so standard size as such - suppliers don't sell just one tuner so only available as a set - so option is to hunt e-bay or similar to see if you can find one - Or check out any guitar repair guys in your area to see if they have any similar single lying about in a bit box - not sure of a new price now on such a set but would suspect around £20-30 - never know but your local dealer might have a spare box as such with loads of nick nacks in there that will do the job
  • Thanks the the advice guys. I've ordered a set of buttons, fingers crossed. I changed the strings today, it was a pain for the peg in question: )
    Thanks the the advice guys. I've ordered a set of buttons, fingers crossed. I changed the strings today, it was a pain for the peg in question: )
    Let us know how you get on. A set of metric kluson-a-likes aren't expensive tho if it doesn't work 
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4921
    You do see individual tuners crop up; there's also the FB guitar sales groups - someone called Ben Rimmer always has loads of stuff.
  • Thanks the the advice guys. I've ordered a set of buttons, fingers crossed. I changed the strings today, it was a pain for the peg in question: )
    Let us know how you get on. A set of metric kluson-a-likes aren't expensive tho if it doesn't work 
    Cheers, will do. I sent an email to Revelation and they have been in contact wanting to know which string the machine head is for so hopefully they may be able to sort me out. 
    Thanks the the advice guys. I've ordered a set of buttons, fingers crossed. I changed the strings today, it was a pain for the peg in question: )
    Cheers, will do. I sent an email to Revelation and they have been in contact wanting to know which string the machine head is for so hopefully they may be able to sort me out. 
    If not, come back and we can recommend a set. 

It might be a worthwhile upgrade to consider - perhaps along with a pro setup at the same time to get it playing nice and sweet

It might be a worthwhile upgrade to consider - perhaps along with a pro setup at the same time to get it playing nice and sweet
    Cheers will do. I'm hopeful though as the guitar seems to be living up to other peoples recommendations (I'm liking it) and first signs of customer service seem good. I'll report back!
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4184
    I usually have some odds and sods in my parts bin, see how you get on

Cheers will do. I'm hopeful though as the guitar seems to be living up to other peoples recommendations (I'm liking it) and first signs of customer service seem good. I'll report back!
    Thanks for the advice and offers of support here on Fretboard.

I'd also like to thank Gazz at Revelation/Sutherland Trading as he has been able to proved a replacement machine head free of charge. Great customer service!
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom