Katana 100 or Blues Cube Artist or ..

What's Hot
chugingtonchugington Frets: 96
edited November 2017 in Amps
Damaging my back lifting my Peavey Classic 50 to and from practice last week has meant I am now looking for something lighter but just as powerful (ideally). I'm resigned to the fact that this means no tubes and probably a 1x12 speaker. A Boss Katana 100 or Blues Cube Artist seem most likely at the moment. I have a lovely Princeton at home for tube loveliness but it won't compete in a band practice or live situation with a loud drummer. Any suggestions or recommendations?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• koss59koss59 Frets: 847
    I’ve had a Blues cube hot for about a year, love it so much I just sold it and bought the artist. Highly recommended it, I’m using it more than my Carr Rambler.
    Facebook.com/nashvillesounduk/
  • thomasw88thomasw88 Frets: 2325
    Quilter problock
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11754
    The Katana 100 can be had for £250, the blues cube artist seems to go for about £700.

So, to you is it £500 better?

Is it ANY better?

I'm genuinely interested in the answers to the above questions BTW!
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
  • koss59 said:
    I’ve had a Blues cube hot for about a year, love it so much I just sold it and bought the artist. Highly recommended it, I’m using it more than my Carr Rambler.
    My findings too... an excellent amp
  • stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2197
    edited November 2017
    I'm happy with my Blues Cube Artist and used it for a few gigs (before I stopped gigging) where it was certainly loud enough for me and I had to back it off to the 45W setting. I just want a good (but not too clinical) clean and then use pedals for other stuff. Before that I was using a HRD3 which was too heavy for me.

I tried a Katana 1x12 100, on clean, fairly recently at Andertons and my initial impression was that I preferred my Blues Cube and that the Katana clean was perhaps a bit more clinical and brittle. However, I've not had the opportunity to try the two amps side by side and in the same room so my perception might be flawed. 

If I start gigging again I'd seriously consider getting a Katana as a back up amp, given the low price.

I suggest trying the two amps side by side.
    It's not a competition.

• Is it ANY better?

I've not tried a Blues Cube, so can't really answer the question, directly.

But a couple of differences are the Blues Cube has an ply cab and a discrete analog power, whereas the Katanas are MDF with IC based amplifier stages.  So that would account for some difference in cost, whether it transfers to a better sound I don't know.  IME cab materal can make a big difference.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • chugingtonchugington Frets: 96
    edited November 2017
    I tend to use a cleanish amp channel setting and add pedals to taste and was leaning towards the Cube for simplicity. However, in the Katana the effects are all there and the amp is so affordable I could sell my pedals and pay for the amp. Is the difference in wattage 80w(cube)100w(Katana) likely to make much difference volume wise? As far as I can tell both amps use the same technology it's just that the Katana is more versatile with more options in terms of effects, tweaking and storing sounds. The price difference is significant though.
  • koss59koss59 Frets: 847
    IMO the Katana doesnt have the same warmth or touch response that the Blues cube has. It’s an amazing amp for the money but very different to the artist.

Facebook.com/nashvillesounduk/
  • longjawlongjaw Frets: 423
    edited November 2017
    Get a Jet City 20W or 22W head and a Harley Benton G112 Vintage cab from Thomann, it'll cost less than £400, sound great and not be heavy.