NAGD- Cheaper than I was expecting

What's Hot
DrJazzTapDrJazzTap Frets: 2168
edited March 2014 in Guitar
Okay so this isn't the most exciting thing in the world. I went off to the Guitarshow today with a mate of mine and meet @digitalscream and @handsome_chris. Now I was umming and ahhing about buying a yamaha pacifica, clocked a really cheap 510v (infact if i knew they came with locking tuners, I'd have that guitar now). But hey ho, didnt excite me that much and besides I can always pick one up at a later date.
So bought some V picks,some strings and a swanky leather guitar strap.......but no guitar. My friend wanted to go to guitarguitar to enquire about some rackmount gear (way over my head!). So when in Birmingham....why not.

Anyway I was just ambling through the store and I clocked a few Yamaha acoustics, nearly went for a lovely FG with a nice flamed maple back and sides. I then saw this second hand guitar hanging below (this isn't mine, mine has a few more knocks and scuffs but couldnt care really)

A Yamaha FG450SA, I was after an acoustic guitar without any electric wizardy for a while. This has a solid spruce top and I believe ovankol back and sides (laminate?). Anyway the guitar was............£55. :0
So I bought the guitar drove back to Bristol restrung it  and it sounds lovely. I really do need to play acoustic guitar far more, really tightens up my technique!
I know the guitar isn't the sexiest acoustic guitar on the market, but still........ it was £55!!. It's ideal for noodling on the couch, I will pick up a high end acoustic at some point in the distant future (chances are another Yamaha). I've dated the guitar as being manufactured on May  18th 1990. Believe it or not some adverts i've seen are trying to sell the guitar as a vintage instrument! hmmm

Just for comparison my swanky leather guitar strap cost me £45! ha ha
I would love to change my username, but I fully understand the T&C's (it was an old band nickname). So please feel free to call me Dave.
0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• DrJazzTapDrJazzTap Frets: 2168
    Yeah for the money I can't beat it really, I didn't really want to get a dreadnought. I've got an old APX which i must have had 15-16 years at least, sentimental attachment to that one. Even though it's worth hardly anything. Have to admit I'm intrigued by Yamaha's, I think they are pretty untapped. If you don't need a F type logo on your headstock then they are great alternatives.

I just chuckled because I think of a 60's Strat or a 50's Lester as being a vintage instrument, I mean 1990? I was 10, the era of MC Hammer and C&C music factory?
    I would love to change my username, but I fully understand the T&C's (it was an old band nickname). So please feel free to call me Dave.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • 55 quid??!! Excellent work, sir, well done.
    If you must have sex with a frog, wear a condom. If you want the frog to have fun, rib it.
  • munkymunky Frets: 9
    Nice NGD! If you do fancy a 510v, mine is in the classifieds... Sorry for the shameless plug!!!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • £55 for something that's been lashed together to a half decent standard is great, and I'm betting that this is probably better than that!

Noice ;)
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12665
    Good guitars - especially at that money!
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• DrJazzTapDrJazzTap Frets: 2168
    Thanks guys, I remember playing my old housemates cheap FG130 and being impressed by that (just a run of the mill thing). This one is a different league altogether though. I have been thinking about selling it for a profit, but then I doubt I'd pick up something of the same quality for the same price again!