Point to point FX

What's Hot
longshinslongshins Frets: 246
edited November 2017 in FX
Hi there, a local amp builder has sort of agreed to make a pedal for me, he only likes doing point to point stuff though. I’d love a fuzz, Octavia and boost in one enclosure. Can anyone recommend some low part count circuits? I’m thinking silicone fuzzface, green ringer, lpb... however if you know of any other cool low part circuits then please let me know. Thanks!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72329
    Mk1-2 Tone Bender, Electra Distortion, Shin-Ei FY-2, Dallas Rangemaster treble booster...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30290
    I really like the SHO boost. Only about 9 bits to it. Fuzz Face has got about 11.
    Don't know about octave pedals.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

• Klon and DMM clones are good point to point  ;)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72329

Klon and DMM clones are good point to point  ;)
    I had to laugh when I saw the Ibanez 'hand wired Tube Screamer'.

The entirely machine-made 4558 chip contains more components than the rest of the circuit :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Forgot to add, bonus points if they run off standard 9 volt power supplies and can be daisy chained.
  • Ro_SRo_S Frets: 929
    edited November 2017
    Fuzz Face
    /  Colorsound One Knob Fuzz  (same topology)  /  DAM Meathead

Fuzzrite

Astrotone / Sam Ash fuzz

Bazz Fuzz

treble booster 
    Catainbread Naga Viper  (more versatile treble booster, cos it can do full range too)

zvex SHO / Channel 2

MXR Micro Amp*

MXR Distortion+ / DOD 250 *  -- you could add various clipping diode permutations, with 3-way toggle switches 

*these have single opamps though

Dunno how many parts, but a Baxandall EQ section could be good

LBP1 is crappy imo

I would go for green ringer over the octavia; then you can add the upper octave alone to whatever else you want to use it with.

How do you intend to configure the order?   order toggles?  How about individual in/out jacks for each effect?

over 20 effects pedals FOR SALE, click here to see my classifieds thread.   My trading feedback

Effects for Me & my Monkey    
    YouTube channel     Facebook         Fretboard's "resident pedal supremo" - mgaw

• Rightio... naga viper first, next I would like to run it into a negative ground fuzz with a hint or controllable amount of upper octave that doesn’t need to be first in chain. Any ideas?
    longshins said:
    Rightio... naga viper first, next I would like to run it into a negative ground fuzz with a hint or controllable amount of upper octave that doesn’t need to be first in chain. Any ideas?
    a Fuzz Face or Colorsound One Knob Fuzz, and, as a separate effect, a Green Ringer upper octave with a pot (that's what the Visual Sound Angry Fuzz has)
    over 20 effects pedals FOR SALE, click here to see my classifieds thread.   My trading feedback

YouTube channel     Facebook         Fretboard's "resident pedal supremo" - mgaw

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TateFXTateFX Frets: 114
    tFB Trader
    Got to be a Tone Bender.
    Formerly Stu_Tate
    Tate FX
    www.TateFX.co.uk
    Instagram 
  • poopotpoopot Frets: 9099
    edited November 2017
    Cot50... here’s mine I threw together.

http://a68.tinypic.com/nl2b7t.jpg
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • bbill335bbill335 Frets: 1373
    poopot said:
    Cot50... here’s mine I threw together.

http://a68.tinypic.com/nl2b7t.jpg
    That's wonderfully tidy. 
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4980
    @Ro_S, I have an LPB1 which is a key element in my sound.  It gives me enough boost to breakup the clean sound of my amp. It is totally unsuitable, not designed for, for high gain sounds and is not a fuzz pedal. YMMV
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Rocker said:
    @Ro_S, I have an LPB1 which is a key element in my sound.  It gives me enough boost to breakup the clean sound of my amp. It is totally unsuitable, not designed for, for high gain sounds and is not a fuzz pedal. YMMV
    I quite agree it's not a high distortion or fuzz pedal; I never suggested or implied otherwise.  Personally, I don't rate it much compared to many others boosts that are available. 

• Ok so I think it's going to be silicon fuzz face into naga viper, apparently this way round is quieter plus your guitar volume knob will clean things up better. Anyone tried a silicon tonebender? 
    longshins said:
    Ok so I think it's going to be silicon fuzz face into naga viper, apparently this way round is quieter plus your guitar volume knob will clean things up better. Anyone tried a silicon tonebender? 
    do you mean a 60s 3 transistor tonebender?    some of the 70s tonebenders were silicon but those were big muff based so entirely different beasts.

some of the 60s tonebender models had 2 transistors (and had a Fuzz Face topology); most had 3 transistors though. but they all had germanium transistors. i'm not convinced they're much point in a silicon tonebender (unless somehow  they can sound like a germanium one).   

edited November 2017
    longshins said:
    i refer you to my reply above.  it's a silicon version of a Mk 2 Professional. that'd make it a very different sounding pedal imo