Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Anyone bought a guitar that was ...

What's Hot

Comments

• rossirossi Frets: 1705
    I have found the source of some grounding troubles on the  lawsuit .Looks like the pickup switch .I played it through my DV Mark Little Jazz which smooths it all out and it sounds better than I thought .The really bright bridge pickup is tamed .I had been playing through a Blackstar Fly to sort out earthing issues.its a very nice guitar that fails in the job most people bought it for .Its not a Les Paul .Its great for bluesy jazzy and fairly clean rock etc ,but not for a heavy overdriven sound  where some depth is required.I'll post some pics when I get a chance .
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    Loads of times. You see something, and think, daft not to at that price, and bobs yer uncle. Got a bid in on one, right now, as it goes..
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

• usedtobe said:
    Loads of times. You see something, and think, daft not to at that price, and bobs yer uncle. Got a bid in on one, right now, as it goes..
    That's the thing. I hate seeing stuff go on the cheap so, more often than not I'll put a sneaky bid in even though I don't even really want it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Yup. More times than I'd like to admit. 
    I had 13 guitars at one point, all were "bargains" and "great for the money". 
    I eventually realised that I only "need" one guitar. I now have just two- I'm still regularly tempted by cheap stuff on here or Facebook. 
    Come on everyone knows 3 is the magic number  ;)

• Maynehead said:
    The way I see it if I can guarantee to get my money back when I sell it, there’s nothing to lose.
    This  ;)
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14533
    There is a part of a guitarholic that can not bear to pass up on a bargain. 
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7344
    edited November 2017
    My £35 (new price inc delivery) Tele is a monster of TONE!  It Weighs a ton and never fails to deliver the goodies. I would not swap this for a  Fender CS no matter what - they wouldn't sound as good even if their parts are more exotic. Even Ronnie Wood Guitar Luthier Joe White was impressed.

This is what we always hope will be the result of such transactions!

http://i58.tinypic.com/2r5f4zt.jpg
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
  • LegionreturnsLegionreturns Frets: 7965
    edited November 2017
    Regularly. I bought a fairly crappy acoustic, just because I was wandering around Leeds, killing time while one of my more wayward students presented himself to a local magistrate for his almost monthly bollocking and fine. That trip actually cost me more than him as the Guitar was more than his fine! 

It is now to donor guitar for my camping / fantasy events guitar being bastardised as we speak

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2910
    Yeah, I really want one of them Bullet Mustangs just because of the price really.
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24581
    I keep looking at the Squier Affinity Precisions, the Epiphone Viola Basses, along with many others..

Temptation has not won over yet.. but I know it's only a matter of time.
  • AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4616
    Squier do a bright sparkly pink strat for just under £200 that I bloody love.
    It's even got a pink 'Squier' Logo.

It'll need everything upgrading, fretwork and whatever else but I can't get past that colour.

Ibanez have just released the Jem Junior in Pink too.
    That'll need everything upgrading and set up work too but.....

WANT !!!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Alnico said:

It'll need everything upgrading, fretwork and whatever else but I can't get past that colour.

WANT !!!
    Could respray your tele sparkly pink for you if you like..?
    edited November 2017
    (and relic it up a bit too...) ;)
  • @Alnico ; said:

WANT !!!
    I've played those Pink Strats LOADS of times- my 6year old daughter desperately wants one. She makes me grab one whenever we go to my local guitars'r'us. 
    The neck is good- satin finish & the ones I've tried have been well finished. 
    The pickups are ok. (Upgrade eventually with IronGear or similar). 
    Electrics feel cheap, as does the trem & tuners. (Immediate upgrades)
    80% have a bad crack in the finish at the neck pocket (& it looks terrible due to the thickness of the clear coat)- potential for discounts? 

That said... It's a HH Strat in SPARKLING PINK. I've been planning the mods since I first saw one! 
  • FuengiFuengi Frets: 2850
    I bought a 1970 Kiso Suzuki acoustic for £10 off Gumtree. It was absolutely filthy and the strings had been on it for at least 25 years but the neck was straight and no major damage. 

I cleaned it up, restrung it and it sounded ok. Used it for about a year and then sold it for nearly £200. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Just bought a Hofner (McCartney) 1970s 500/1 Bass because it was good value, and er... I love the Beatles, and hmmm.... I told the wife it was an 'investment'...

And I rarely play bass...

It does look the cobbs though :)

1reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28341
    Yes, in the 80s/90s/00s I would get cheap old tat from junk shop and faff around with them. dismantling, stripping finishes, replacing electrics etc. Learned a lot. Some I still have, some I destroyed, some I gave away, some I flogged. It was fun and a buzz at the time but you just end up with stuff you don't need.
  • NeilNeil Frets: 3636
    No, I've never bought a guitar because it was cheap.

I learned years ago with collecting various things that buying cheap stuff because it's cheap is usually a mistake.

Buying something expensive for cheap is whole different kettle of fish though, and is always a pleasure.  :)
  • AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4616
    Alnico said:

WANT !!!
    Could respray your tele sparkly pink for you if you like..?

(and relic it up a bit too...) ;)

If you could and you want to......I'd go nuts for the Fender Shell Pink you and I have seen and discussed many times?
    Yes, please!
    I'll bring it to Northampton for you?

@Alnico ; said:

WANT !!!
    I've played those Pink Strats LOADS of times- my 6year old daughter desperately wants one. She makes me grab one whenever we go to my local guitars'r'us. 
    The neck is good- satin finish & the ones I've tried have been well finished. 
    The pickups are ok. (Upgrade eventually with IronGear or similar). 
    Electrics feel cheap, as does the trem & tuners. (Immediate upgrades)
    80% have a bad crack in the finish at the neck pocket (& it looks terrible due to the thickness of the clear coat)- potential for discounts? 

That said... It's a HH Strat in SPARKLING PINK. I've been planning the mods since I first saw one! 
    Oh man I honestly thought it was me going mad.
    I saw one in the window of Fair Deal Music early this year and just stood still. I knew I'd want to upgrade it all and I knew what I was looking at in terms of a guitar, it's a Squier Affinity BUT.....
    Although I do genuinely like pink guitars anyway, I've never seen one in such an OTT and glorious shade and finish as that. Yes, it's garish but it's so garish it's back across the line to cool again........for me anyway.

Thanks, it's nice to hear that someone has played it and yes I'll watch out for the crack in the neck pocket lacquer but honestly, that wouldn't bother me in real terms.