Tweed Pedal Board

What's Hot
Comrades!

As I’m currently having a chappist love affair with all things tweedy, I thought it might be rather jolly to have a tweed pedal board/case. 

I see one can purchase sheets/rolls of the stuff from eBay and the like. Has anyone here worked with the stuff? Is it as simple as cutting it to size and glueing in place?

Any advice gratefully received: im particularly pondering specific glue products, how to stop edges from fraying, and whether it would benefit from a good shellacking.

Will post pics if anyone is interested if I decide to go ahead.
Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• munckeemunckee Frets: 12354
    I recovered my champion 600 in tweed, bought the tweed from Sol Sounds on Ebay.  I used Evostick solvent free contact cement.  It is as easy as cuting to size, glueing both the wood and the tweed and then when dry sticking together.  You only get one shot though I believe some people use PVA so you can move it around when placed but I did not try that.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • JerkMoansJerkMoans Frets: 8794
    munckee said:
    I recovered my champion 600 in tweed, bought the tweed from Sol Sounds on Ebay.  I used Evostick solvent free contact cement.  It is as easy as cuting to size, glueing both the wood and the tweed and then when dry sticking together.  You only get one shot though I believe some people use PVA so you can move it around when placed but I did not try that.
    Thanks for that: how did you deal with edges potentially fraying? 
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12354
    The material I bought didn't fray when cutting, my wife has decent fabric scissors which I used.  The contact cement firmly sticks the edges down as long as you get it to the edge, I used a paint brush to apply it.  I have lacquered it with an antique pine polyurethane varnish which I also brushed on.  To be fair I only did it quite recently so I can't speak for longevity but so far so good.  

I also covered my home made amp stand as well, have been thinking about doing my pedal board too.  Not the best picture but you can get the idea:

https://i.imgur.com/va1tvHU.jpg