NOCD

RedRabbitRedRabbit Frets: 486
That's New Oil City Day.

After a brief exchange with @TheGuitarWeasel I decided his Nightfighter pickup would be an ideal upgrade for the rather dull and lifeless stock bridge pickup in my newly acquired PRS SE245.  I was initially torn between this and his scrapyard dog plus but Ash explained the difference between the alnico 4 & 5 magnets and his description of the alnico 4 sold it to me (blues/classic rock with a touch of metal).

The real test will be at band practice on Wednesday but I've had a quick play around with it at home and I'm suitably impressed.  It's got all the clarity I was missing in the stock pickup.  Somehow it manages to be incredibly smooth while still having a nice bite to it.  There's a nice 'throaty' quality to the mids and the sweet almost gentle highs - Ash described them as flute like and I can see where he's coming from.  The bass is nice and tight without being overpowering.  It's metal outings will be few are far between but at least I know it'll cope well if needed.

The problem I have now is that I was originally happy with the neck pickup in this guitar but I'm now wondering how much better it could sound with another Oil City in there.  The Blitz Spirit looks interesting...
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10487
    tFB Trader
    Glad you like the NightFighter mate ... I love my job you know ... I sorta feel like Santa all year round :)
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

• Adam_MDAdam_MD Frets: 3420
    The Scrapyard dog + in the neck of my prs pairs really well with the Nightfighter in the bridge. Also excellent if you need to split the coils.
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2359
    Nice :D